L29 Coil near plug questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mostly reliability and maintenance of performance since there are no longer mechanical contacts to corrode. There are theoretically benefits to efficiency and power since the spark is more precisely controlled but at the low RPMs typical of truck motors it's marginal.
Thanks, that's a great idea! I'd never thought about stacking them. Which coils did you use? Any LS type coil works, right?

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, just regular LS coils. I purchased some Delphi surplus coils new off of ebay for $10 each. They were the same part number as EFI Connections' kit (Delphi 12573190) just less expensive (with the risk of them being Chinese counterfeits but it worked out for me, they were genuine). I purchased most of the parts from EFI Connection (excellent service from them so any SBC guys looking to do it should use them, Mike is very helpful and quick to respond to email) but the bulk manufactured items I bought direct to keep cost down.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, just regular LS coils. I purchased some Delphi surplus coils new off of ebay for $10 each. They were the same part number as EFI Connections' kit (Delphi 12573190) just less expensive (with the risk of them being Chinese counterfeits but it worked out for me, they were genuine). I purchased most of the parts from EFI Connection (excellent service from them so any SBC guys looking to do it should use them, Mike is very helpful and quick to respond to email) but the bulk manufactured items I bought direct to keep cost down.
Ok thanks. I figured they'd work, I also thought about using the same ones that the L21 and 8.1 used as their part numbers cross reference. Out of curiousity, will 22 gauge wire work ok for the new coil harness from the plugs into the PCM?

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not certain about the wire gage. I've always used #18 wire and it has always been larger than the factory wire I was splicing to so I presume existing is #20 or #22. I bought #16 for the ignition wire and ground thinking that it would be larger gage but found when I cut it that it too is smaller than #18. I would think #22 to the ECM would be fine since that is likely factory. For ignition wire your call but as mentioned factory is smaller than #18.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is cool because I hate working on the L29 distributor. Does it require a 8.1 or L21 tone ring on the crank?