L29 454 MODS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You still use the cam sensor in the distributor. In fact you still need to set the distributor position to correlate with the crank sensor. You just don't have any high voltage traveling through the distributor. They sell a blank distributor cap too.

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/cast-aluminum-distributor-dust-cap

The real advantage is that having more coils you can have a higher dwell and theoretically better spark. You also don't have to worry about failing distributor caps anymore, and your spark plug wires are really short, depending on where you mount the coils. Besides it just kinda looks cool.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You still use the cam sensor in the distributor. In fact you still need to set the distributor position to correlate with the crank sensor. You just don't have any high voltage traveling through the distributor. They sell a blank distributor cap too.

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/cast-aluminum-distributor-dust-cap

The real advantage is that having more coils you can have a higher dwell and theoretically better spark. You also don't have to worry about failing distributor caps anymore, and your spark plug wires are really short, depending on where you mount the coils. Besides it just kinda looks cool.

Problem there is Vortecs have a 1x cam sensor and 24x ignition uses a 4x cam sensor.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem there is Vortecs have a 1x cam sensor and 24x ignition uses a 4x cam sensor.
True, but it doesn't NEED a 4x cam sensor.

Here is the whole article I used.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/24x.html

I already had an 0411 PCM and a licensed LS tune file. The only components I needed to buy were the:

Coil Packs
Wiring connectors
Pins for the PCM
I bought color coded wire from Amazon
24x crank reluctor wheel that was used on the L21 454
Crank position Sensor also from the L21
The wiring connector to that sensor
Distributor dust cap. (not really needed, you could just leave the factory distributor cap with no wires on it)
LS engine spark plug wires.

I mixed up two wires on the crank sensor and it didn't fire the first time, but once I got that right it fired right up and ran pretty good. I had to tune the PCM to the larger engine, but that was it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you didn't use a cam sensor then you are batch firing the injectors. I disconnected my cam sensor and saw no difference in performance.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
24x uses a 1x cam sensor

58x uses the 4x.

Either way you can get the appropriate cam sensor. The later 4.3s had a cam sensor that was 4x that bolts into a SBC or BBC.