Knock sensor replacement. 2000 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Viking

Reaction score
where on a 2000 Chevy K2500 454 are the knock sensors. I’m an average mechanic can I change them? Shop wants money I don’t have
Thanks
Jim

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One on either side of the block, low, forward of starter area. Easy to change. Do it on a cold engine as they're in direct contact with coolant so take same care as if you were opening the radiator cap. Don't go animal on them as you can break them. Don't add any thread tape or sealant; they're NPT so they will seal when they're snugged up. Look up the parts online (on rockauto for example) for pics to help you ID them on your engine.

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, what Richard said. Also take great care when unplugging the connector, they tend to break very easily.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold engine. Verify NO PRESSURE in the cooling system by squeezing the hoses. Leave the rad cap in place. Get the new sensor "ready to go" in one hand, while you thread the old one out with the other. When the old one falls out, the new one gets screwed-in almost immediately.

Minimizes the spilled coolant. You'll still need a drain pan, and it'll still be a mess.

Or just deliberately drain all the coolant via the knock-sensors. More work, but less messy, and you can do this as part of a coolant flush-and-fill.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had no idea they were in direct contact with coolant. I've seen the one near the starter, but I don't recall one on the other side....more congested over there.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They screwed into the block using the same hole as the block drain plugs. That's why they have pipe threads.

So far as I know, there is on ly one, just ahead of the starter But I'm used to 5.7 TBI not 7.4 Vortec.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep just 1 on the 5.7 TBI. The 7.4 Vortec has one on each side, at least my '96 model did, not sure if all years of 7.4 Vortec do though.

As far as the coolant goes, don't panic if none comes out - it's the low point in the block and sediment collects there over the years and can seal the hole.

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, one on each side of the 7.4, at least on the Vortec engines. When I rebuilt mine both holes were plugged tight. If they areplugged, it's ok to leave them like that, the knock sensor does not use coolant to work properly.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What were your symptoms that lead to knowing you needed knee knock sensors? How can I test or check on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk