k&n cai filter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 k3500 454, is there a dry filter that i can put in place of the k&n oiled filter with and keep the rest of the fipk set up?

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crazy the S&B company is about half a mile from where i work... I wonder if their 5.7 package has and air scoop system..? Might have 2 stop by soon...

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the volant filters appear to be oiled just like k&n. s&b ? never heard of them, got a link ? i dont even care if i go back to disposable filters, just to get away from cleaning then oiling.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might have to search around for one since the K&N uses the hose clamp to secure the filter, most stock filters are just press on and might not seal too well on the K&N piping...

as much as I hate how amsoil conducts business and markets themselves, when I tested a bunch of air filters, their dry filter did very well, and they look like they have alot of different styles including clamp on ones like the K&N. they also claim to be cleanable with just a vacuum or compressed air. they're more expensive than a stock filter, but it might be worth looking at.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my POS volant cai I had way back in the day was an oiled filter. it looks like they make both oiled and dry replacement filters nowadays though, so I can't speak for their dry filters.

Last edited:

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have an aFe CAI on my 96, but i think they sell just the filters by themselves too. they make both oiled and not IIRC

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Donaldson actually makes volant's dry filters, they're called 'powercore'. they look interesting, you might be able to find a better price on a donaldson one. but I'm not sure where you'd get one. if you find a donaldson supplier somewhere, let me know, I'd like to grab one and take a look at it.

Last edited:

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks ill search around for that donaldson, looks good.