Jolly Green's '97 Z-71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait? Didn't you have a different truck and this must be one you just picked up? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

That truck is CLEAN! This is exactly what I want next. A clean white, red, or black STOCK GMC or Chevy 400. That's awesome man. What all does clay barring and compound do? I'm painting my truck soon but until then I really want to revitalize my stock paint from 95. It's just slightly faded overall and shows a ton of hairline swirls :nono:

Don't put ANY silicone product on your truck Griffin, If your planning to paint soon. You can get the swirl marks out by using a anti-swirl glaze with a wool pad. Just be sure to use a body shop safe product that is silicone free.

To the OP, Very clean truck man!! I like the idea of a 4" lift also!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Wait? Didn't you have a different truck and this must be one you just picked up? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

That truck is CLEAN! This is exactly what I want next. A clean white, red, or black STOCK GMC or Chevy 400. That's awesome man. What all does clay barring and compound do? I'm painting my truck soon but until then I really want to revitalize my stock paint from 95. It's just slightly faded overall and shows a ton of hairline swirls :nono:

Using a clay bar takes all of the things imbedded in your clear and "picks" it out. It would be the very first step you would take before compound or waxing. I use the Mother's clay bar kit from Auto Zone.

1. clay bar (Mother's kit w/ quick detailer)
2. rubbing compound (I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound)
3. wax (I use Zymol)

If you have really bad swirl marks you should use a slightly rougher compound before the stuff I used. And...a variable speed buffer cuts the time in half. :)

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just thought of something. Unless you need a bunch of body work I bet a good detail could get your truck looking close to new again and save you from potential messing it up trying to paint it.

Oh trust me I've been thinking the same. I've been looking at alot of detailing videos and I have some polish and wax in the garage. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up one of the autozone orbital polisher things but I want to remove the damn oxidation and swirls and whatever is best to bring back that deep deep gloss black look so I'm unsure what is best for that. The things I know of are clay bar, polish, wax, and I've also heard of colorsanding but I have no idea...I think I might start with my polish, then work in the wax. I've never taken a polisher or buffer to this truck always just waxed it by hand so maybe that's all she needs? The painting I want to do so I can remove my moldings and obviously have it looking alot better overall but this detail might work really well for now.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh trust me I've been thinking the same. I've been looking at alot of detailing videos and I have some polish and wax in the garage. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up one of the autozone orbital polisher things but I want to remove the damn oxidation and swirls and whatever is best to bring back that deep deep gloss black look so I'm unsure what is best for that. The things I know of are clay bar, polish, wax, and I've also heard of colorsanding but I have no idea...I think I might start with my polish, then work in the wax. I've never taken a polisher or buffer to this truck always just waxed it by hand so maybe that's all she needs? The painting I want to do so I can remove my moldings and obviously have it looking alot better overall but this detail might work really well for now.

I would definitely try a good wash, claybar, wax, and buff before doing anything drastic. Your truck looks good in your pics so that may be all you need. If I'm not mistaken a good buffer is the key to getting rid of swirl marks and small scratches but you want quality random orbital buffer so you don't burn your paint. Just what I've read. I've never done it myself.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
T DOG is right on track with that comment. I would go the clay bar, light compound, then finish with a good quality wax. The buffer I have isn't a random orbital, just variable speed. I don't run it on anything but LOW speed. You have to be somewhat careful, more so with the compound than the wax. You would have to really sit in one spot for a while for it to "burn" your paint. Get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compund - it isn't very rough and it's pretty good at getting swirls out. Good luck!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys I did it. Went and picked up an orbital "polisher" buffer today and used meguiars ultimate compound and the nxt tech wax 2.0 check my build thread im about to upload the pics now.