It will almost start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drice72

Reaction score
I have a 1993 C1500 4.3L. I had to change out the intake gasket over the weekend. In the process I lost time.
I'm just wanting to make sure I'm following the procedure correctly as I just can't get the engine to fire.

I set the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke.
I did this by pulling the spark plug, and holding my finger over the hole while rotating the engine with a wrench.
when I felt the air pushing hard against my finger I put the mark on the crank on the big notch. I assume that is the TDC mark.
I then marked the #1 plug on my dist. cap, marked the base of the dist. and lined the mark up with the rotor.
I'm dead on that mark.
I have unplugged the electronic advance.

It stumbles but will not fire and run.

I have been slowly retarding and advancing the cap for two days.

The truck ran fine before I swapped the intake gaskets.

I also didn't pull the plug wires off of the cap when I did took it off. I also marked each wire with the cylinder number before pulling the wire off so I wouldn't get them crossed.

Am I doing this right, and just need to keep easing the cap around? I'm at my wits end with this!!