Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
New member here. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable people here. Glad I found this forum. On to the issue. I have a 97 Chevy 4x4 5.7V that was really having power failure when pushing on the gas. I mean I have felt some stumbles and hesitation in the last year but I really don't drive it alot. I checked the fuel pressure and only had 52 psi. I figured this is a fuel pump issue but I had never changed the fuel filter on this truck so I thought maybe I can get back some psi with a new filter. It was pretty ugly . No issues, heard the fuel pump come on and turn off. Did it a few times to prime the line. Now the truck won't start at all the fuel pressure is now less than 5 psi. My question is, do you think the pump was just on its last leg and died? Before I changed the fuel filter it started and idled and didn't really have issues until I pushed the gas. Appreciate the insight folks.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
seems pretty unlikely, imo.
I'd either put the old filter back in, or get a new one and test again before looking else where.
its easy to replace.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quality fuel pumps don't die from use--they die from not changing the fuel filter every 15k miles--not 20k, not 30k--every 15,000 miles.

Buy a new fuel filter. Blow through it for practice. Remove old fuel filter, blow the gas out, and then blow through it. Feel the difference in resistance? That resistance is what kills fuel pumps.

My experience/observation is the fuel pumps quit when the vehicle is shut off, and then the fuel pump won't come back on. I have heard of them operating intemittently or in a weak fashion but have never actually seen one do that.

The fuel filters in the both the TBI and Gen 1 Vortecs have a ridiculously small pore size. They clog up quickly depending on how clean the fuel is and/or the kind of climate/environment the vehicle is being driven in, etc.....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Quality fuel pumps don't die from use--they die from not changing the fuel filter every 15k miles--not 20k, not 30k--every 15,000 miles.

Buy a new fuel filter. Blow through it for practice. Remove old fuel filter, blow the gas out, and then blow through it. Feel the difference in resistance? That resistance is what kills fuel pumps.

My experience/observation is the fuel pumps quit when the vehicle is shut off, and then the fuel pump won't come back on. I have heard of them operating intemittently or in a weak fashion but have never actually seen one do that.

The fuel filters in the both the TBI and Gen 1 Vortecs have a ridiculously small pore size. They clog up quickly depending on how clean the fuel is and/or the kind of climate/environment the vehicle is being driven in, etc.....
That is exactly how my Burb did when the fuel pump went out. We'd driven it a bunch, came to the shop building and swapped trucks(this was about six weeks after buying the crew cab). Came out three days later and it Would. Not. Start. Tried everything, even smacking the bottom of the tank. Nope, nada, not happening. So we ended up replacing the pump, and I was amazed by how much better it started. I guess it was wearing out so gradually that I hadn't noticed....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If the tank is older and crusty inside then yes, change fuel filers often. Or if it has been 'sealed' using that pour-n-shake rubberized fuel tank plugger that should be banned from all NATO nations.

But if its a newer clean tank, a new pump will die from overheating caused by constantly running less than 1/4 tank. A fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that's surrounding it and running it low causes it to constantly run hot and burn out bearings, bushings, seals, impeller, etc. Just keep it above 1/2 when possible and treat 1/4 like the low-fuel light is on.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the tank is older and crusty inside then yes, change fuel filers often. Or if it has been 'sealed' using that pour-n-shake rubberized fuel tank plugger that should be banned from all NATO nations.

But if its a newer clean tank, a new pump will die from overheating caused by constantly running less than 1/4 tank. A fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that's surrounding it and running it low causes it to constantly run hot and burn out bearings, bushings, seals, impeller, etc. Just keep it above 1/2 when possible and treat 1/4 like the low-fuel light is on.

Richlo,
Honestly, that is not true. The pumps don't "overheat" from being above the gas level. That is a story that started when owners failed to change filters and had to come up with a rationalization why their pumps would quit.

I learned the hard way about those filters. I had a 91 K2500 I bought with 9k on the odometer that I took stupidly good care of. Then life got in the way. Plumb forgot about the filter. After the two replacement pumps quit within the year, I went down to see my friend the parts manager at the dealership. He told me that when a vehicle came in and the filter was even partially plugged they would recommend fuel pump replacement. If the owner chose not to replace the pump they made sure to note on the work order that filter was plugged/partially plugged and pump replacement was needed. Customers GMT 400's and 800's would show up a few months later with a burned out pump and the customers would blame the dealer because in the customer's mind they "screwed up the pump" when changing the filter. The dealer had already learned the hard way too.

When my friend the parts manager passed away 7 years ago I bought his 97 K1500 (that he took immaculate care of). There were two things he told me that I abide by: Change the fuel filter in these trucks Often & Frequently, and keep the fluid in the 4L60E BRIGHT RED.

The parts manger's son (who is also a friend of mine) bought his parents 99 Suburban when his dad passed away. My 97 and his 99 GMT400's have a total of 350K+ on the trucks and they both still have the original fuel pumps and original transmissions.......

j 1985 chevy

Reaction score
New member here. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable people here. Glad I found this forum. On to the issue. I have a 97 Chevy 4x4 5.7V that was really having power failure when pushing on the gas. I mean I have felt some stumbles and hesitation in the last year but I really don't drive it alot. I checked the fuel pressure and only had 52 psi. I figured this is a fuel pump issue but I had never changed the fuel filter on this truck so I thought maybe I can get back some psi with a new filter. It was pretty ugly . No issues, heard the fuel pump come on and turn off. Did it a few times to prime the line. Now the truck won't start at all the fuel pressure is now less than 5 psi. My question is, do you think the pump was just on its last leg and died? Before I changed the fuel filter it started and idled and didn't really have issues until I pushed the gas. Appreciate the insight folks.
It could be the tbi or if it has carb but look at the fule filter and hoze the is a small filter in the tank to or spark