Is there a simple way to disable the seat belt warning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even though I always wear a seatbelt while actually driving (I would feel weird/uneasy if not buckled up) and demand it from all my passengers, I never put it on before starting the engine. Puting on the seatbelt is the last thing I do before driving off.

I'm annoyed by the sound signal for belts when starting the engine (and I would also like to get rid of the cluster warning light).

Is there a simple way to disable it?

Or, if it's more complicated, how to do it?

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I would think you could just find the harness where it connects & goes up to the seat belt buckle, unplug it and then find something to complete the circuit within the plug. Don't know if you'll need some sort of resistor or if the buckling the belt simply completes the existing circuit.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The easiest way would be to take out the convenience center, audio alarm module, the ********* box with 7 pins that buzzes with the door open, seat belts, key in, etc. But then you won't get the door open chime either.

You can also take the bulb out of the cluster, but its power feed should be from the audio module.

You could de-pin the audio module so that the ground is eliminated when the seat belt switch is closed (not belted) and the pin that feeds the warning lamp, so it will not come on.

If the volume annoys you, you could open up the black box and adjust the magnet bar so that it is further away from the piezo disc such that the warning volume will decrease. only a slight adjustment is needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you can unplug the connector under the seat. Seams like when I swapped my seats around a few weeks ago, I know I had all connectors unplugged, and seams like the buzzer and light quit working until I plugged everything back in.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The seatbelt sense for GMT400 trucks is a normally-closed switch with the seatbelt not buckled. Unplug the harness below the buckle and forget about it :D

In my case, the wiring broke going to mine.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, when I’m on the lease, after I open the gate, before I get in I just plug seatbelt into buckle, pull a little slack and sit on it till I’m back on the road.