Simple Way to Disable Starting System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of excellent ideas and suggestions in this thread. Thanks to those who have contributed.

My brother called me up the other day and wanted to find an easy way to disable his truck as he now uses it for daily work. Pulls a trailer around with a lot of expensive tools that he typically leaves hooked to the truck. So, today he came over and we put in a disable switch in a very discreet location. It would take someone a very long time to figure out how to make the truck run when in disabled mode. I chose to interrupt the INJ A+B circuit (this is an 89 K1500). My brother is stoked and the final configuration turned out to be very clean and professional and is exactly what he wanted.

I'm looking for anyone to poke holes in this solution. Particularly the interruption of the INJ A+B circuit.

Thoughts please...

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're looking for something you don't need to use every day, I yanked the PCM out of my dually when I stayed in lovely Gallup, NM last year. Gonna do it again in the 1500 wherever I stop on my way to MI next Saturday. Being a 411 swap, any would be thief armed with even a stock PCM would be SOL.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@scottywiley I see you're another boomer that thinks anyone younger than 60 can't drive stick....

Just pulling your leg man
id like to see some boomers be able to get into a high-factory-lift 70s-90s gm truck with 4x4 and a mechanical linkage clutch and then go row that (most likely sm465) I have a feeling clutch beats leg in many of those instances lol!!
but so would it to me. That gets tiring :(
But it probably would help if the right springs were on the fork thing

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of excellent ideas and suggestions in this thread. Thanks to those who have contributed.

My brother called me up the other day and wanted to find an easy way to disable his truck as he now uses it for daily work. Pulls a trailer around with a lot of expensive tools that he typically leaves hooked to the truck. So, today he came over and we put in a disable switch in a very discreet location. It would take someone a very long time to figure out how to make the truck run when in disabled mode. I chose to interrupt the INJ A+B circuit (this is an 89 K1500). My brother is stoked and the final configuration turned out to be very clean and professional and is exactly what he wanted.

I'm looking for anyone to poke holes in this solution. Particularly the interruption of the INJ A+B circuit.

Thoughts please...
tire boot
Otherwise, i think at some point your interventions to prevent theft are only preventing driving off with it, which has been done well. but depending where you go or what your truck is, they may decide a neutral transfer case or breaking your column lock to put it in neutral etc are the easiest ways and then have someone pull the thing flat tow style

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
id like to see some boomers be able to get into a high-factory-lift 70s-90s gm truck with 4x4 and a mechanical linkage clutch and then go row that (most likely sm465) I have a feeling clutch beats leg in many of those instances lol!!
but so would it to me. That gets tiring :(
But it probably would help if the right springs were on the fork thing

Who do you think bought those trucks when they were new?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thoughts please...
I did exactly this, and it also helps since after a couple of days sitting it takes the oil pressure a few seconds to come up once the engine fires. I just leave the switch off for a couple of seconds while it's turning over then flick it back on and the oil pressure comes up instantly when the engine fire up saving that horrible knocking that shortens the life of your bearings each time. Then I also use a steering wheel lock bar, I know it's not fool proof but it creates an extra layer of hassle for the losers trying to take it. Oh, and then there is the GPS tracker that will tell me exactly where it went so I can go and "retreive it" once the suitable arrangements have been made since it can also be remotely disabled when everything is in place.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thoughts please...
How did you wire it up?