Interior lighting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Results will vary depending on the exact brand, quality, current draw, etc. of the LED's used. I have seen this exact behavior in multiple applications. 99% unlikely anything actually wrong with OP's truck.

Richard

That is interesting, and something I hadn't considered. I've used quite a few cheap LEDs over the years and I've never seen this issue.

The majority of the LEDs I used in my red truck that didn't have any problems were from SuperBrightLEDs.com, just for reference in case anyone is wondering.

Tornexted

Reaction score
Results will vary depending on the exact brand, quality, current draw, etc. of the LED's used. I have seen this exact behavior in multiple applications. 99% unlikely anything actually wrong with OP's truck.

Richard

I spent a total of around 20 dollars replacing all interior LEDs from Amazon, so ultimately it could be the quality after all. I found all original bulbs burnt inside except for the two lights on the side of the dome light so I do find that odd.

Tornexted

Reaction score
From another forum I found that it could also be a corroded plug at the driver side seat right next to it below the carpet and trim which the plug supplies electricity to the dome light and door lights. I'll see if this is the issue. Might have to splice the wires.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m having an issue with my interior lights (all incandescent) on all the time. I’ll have to look into this, as I remember the unused wiring for the 4x4 shifter being a little crusty. My truck is 2WD, but the wiring was there under the carpet. Same with the plug for the passenger side power seat.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
You are getting a partial ground. The orange wires are full time hot (unless you pull the fuse) and the white wires are for ground. GM does this so any of the switches will turn on all the lights. A bit of dirt + moisture= Dimly lit LED bulbs.

Bones333

Reaction score
That's the downfall of LED"s. They only need a tiny bit of amperage and they will light up. The standard incandescent bulbs take much more to illuminate.
Theres nothing wrong with your truck, or the wiring. Its just not designed for LEDs.
Put the standard bulbs back in.
I bought all my leds from advance and auto zone. I started out with all white but replaced them all with red. I’ve never had any issues with them staying on.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Tornexted

Reaction score
I figured what's giving me this lighting issue is actually the stock radio that's in my truck. Every time I go to turn on the radio, it messes up the lighting and the radio itself doesn't work as it should. Ever since I left the radio alone, the lighting works as usual, it's just that it stays on dim when it's supposed to be off but it doesn't drain that battery at all. The unfortunate thing though is that I have to use a separate Bluetooth speaker to listen to music because my radio doesn't work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If your stock radio is causing issues I would go ahead and disconnect it. I had one in a '96 that would stay on full-time and when I went to disconnect it, it was burning hot. No idea what failed in it, it was definitely in the radio and not the truck side of things as when I replaced the radio, no more problems.

Just take care you don't leave the antenna connector flopping loose as it can fall down on the A/C controls' exposed circuit board and blow it up.

Richard