Interesting Interior/Exterior Light Coupling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armin

Reaction score
Dear GMT400 users,

I am Armin, I am an new forum user owning a 1998 C1500 Silverado Ext. Cab., Long Bed with the 5.7 l engine. I was searching different forums and pages for two days now to find out if someone else encountered the same interior lights problems.
Now, as searching for a wiring plan was unsuccessful because of the wiring database being shut down, I post my interesting findings here:
In my truck none of the interior lights work. If a switch (door, dome light) is activated, a loud beeping sounds up instead. Ever since that beeping noise occurred for the first time, the headlights started to activate when the parking brake is released, even if the headlight switch is in "off" position.
I checked the fuse box under the hood. Every fuse is ok. I checked the dome light bulbs which light up if externally powered by 12V.
Taking of the dome light housing and measuring the voltage there, shows 0V if the switch is off (surprise!) and 7.8V when switched on (instead over 12V). I cannot find any source of power drain. Also, I have a new battery, freshly charged. The alternator has been replaced 2 month ago. Dash light works perfectly.

My complete layman view on this is the following:
I think I might have blown a controller by shortening the dome light, when it was opened a few weeks ago.
If this assumption is correct, do you know if there is such an controller and where it is located? (maybe next to the turn signal relay?)

Thank you in advance for any upcoming advice.

Cheers,

Armin

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The parking brake/headlight scenario sounds like you are activating the daytime running lights. Are the headlights the only lights coming on? If so then that is what it is.