Intake manifold pitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all - regarding my 1992 SCLB, 5.7 I am replacing the intake manifold gasket. I have some light pitting at the water ports (not sure if that's what they're called?). I've been advised that the side gaskets should be installed "dry" (no ATV except the tabs at the front and rear.

Question - should I put a light/thin coat of ATV on the head side of the gasket where the pitting is? The pitting is not bad, and I suspect the crushing of the gasket material would make a seal.

What are your thoughts?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Do you mean "RTV"; Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone sealer? Yes, no more than a dot at the seam where the side gaskets meet the end seals. Most folks now throw the rubber end seals in the trash, and use a bead of RTV silicone, or The Right Stuff Polyurethane sealer across the "China Walls".

2. Extensive manifold pitting can be filled-in with epoxy, allowed to cure, and then filed flat. Minor pitting may need little more than an adequate gasket sealer such as Gasgacinch, High Tack, Permatex #1, #2, or #3, Indianhead, or any similar product.

3. Be sure you're using the right gaskets; the TBI intake manifold requires gaskets that have the water passages at the rear sealed-off except for a steam hole.

You must be registered for see images attach

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Do you mean "RTV"; Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone sealer? Yes, no more than a dot at the seam where the side gaskets meet the end seals. Most folks now throw the rubber end seals in the trash, and use a bead of RTV silicone, or The Right Stuff Polyurethane sealer across the "China Walls".

2. Extensive manifold pitting can be filled-in with epoxy, allowed to cure, and then filed flat. Minor pitting may need little more than an adequate gasket sealer such as Gasgacinch, High Tack, Permatex #1, #2, or #3, Indianhead, or any similar product.

3. Be sure you're using the right gaskets; the TBI intake manifold requires gaskets that have the water passages at the rear sealed-off except for a steam hole.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the information.
I have the correct gasket set. It didn't come with rubber seals, just a small tube of Black RTV.
I think the pitting I have is minor - actually, I can't really "feel it" with my finger tips, but I do see it. I'll pick up gasket sealer those areas.
Thanks again,

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ditto.

It's ok to use INSTEAD of a gasket. It's horrible when used WITH a gasket, unless it's at the seam between gaskets, or between a gasket and a rubber seal--and then, just a dot.

I'd rather use a paper gasket than rtv. The last time I used it, it was for a seam. I was happy to find a small packet rather than buying a whole tube only to use a little and find it solidified next time I wanted to use it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a problem using RTV with a gasket. You just have to use a very thin layer and let it set up a bit before you install. I've used it to help a gasket when dealing with pitted surfaces. I also started out wrenching on Japanese engines that only used RTV to seal a lot of the surfaces.