Installing Headers and Dual Exhast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gyver

Reaction score
I went by a muffler shop a while back and asked them if they would install headers and dual exhaust on my ‘98 Silverado K1500. The guy said that if he removed the existing system and bypassed the oxygen sensors it would mess up the computer. But I see these trucks coming by all the time with custom pipes. Just wondering what you guys think about that and if it’s even worth it.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
most modern day headers have a bung for installing an O2 sensor.. or specify such when ordering a set...
I have a set of shorties on my 454 powered step side.. and don't have any issues.. in fact I'm getting 12 mpg with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe they misunderstood. It’s done all the time - headers connected to stock flanges, leave the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters in place, install dual-out muffler or replace the single stock muffler with two.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't specify if you want to install "shorty" headers that connect to your stock exhaust or if you are talking about " long tube" headers that will require all new pipes run back from them.
I just installed a set of Gibson shorty headers on my 99' 2 door Tahoe, they connect to mandrel bent Magnaflow exhaust pipes that run thru Magnaflow high flow catalytic convertors and then to a Magnaflow muffler.
If you go the shorty route, the headers connect to the stock exhaust...and you're done.
If you go with long tubes, you need to make sure they have O2 sensor bungs or the collectors do. New pipes will run back from there thru whatever muffler you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All they have to do is add a few bungs for the o2 sensors. Problem solved! I would find a different shop lol. If you go true duels, I'd suggest adding a x pipe.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My yukon has summit headers and Jegs offroad down pipes. The downpipe and headers will bolt to factory parts. I had the headers on a 99 K2500 with stock pipes, and my Tahoe has the downpipes with stock manifolds. The headers need to be for your truck, since the Vortecs have EGR tube on it. The pipes have the O2 bungs already there, close to stock locations. The Jegs pipes have no cats, hence offroad, but on my Yukon there is no check engine light. Since I put the pipe on my Tahoe, I do have a light on, but I think the sensor may be bad, its reading high voltage, but I also noticed that the wires were pinched pretty good on the heat shield, so maybe have grounded out or cut the wires. But even before I put the pipe on, PO had removed one cat, and after getting the old pipes off, noticed the other cat was gutted, and there was no light on for it. So, find another garage. But like others said, if going with shorty headers, won't have to do much. But if want long tubes, still can be done, but will require custom exhaust. I've been checking, and can't find anyone that has an exhaust for long tubes.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad i live where emissions are not tested. None of mine have rear 02s or cats. I turn off all the pcm codes so have no issues

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My yukon has summit headers and Jegs offroad down pipes. The downpipe and headers will bolt to factory parts. I had the headers on a 99 K2500 with stock pipes, and my Tahoe has the downpipes with stock manifolds. The headers need to be for your truck, since the Vortecs have EGR tube on it. The pipes have the O2 bungs already there, close to stock locations. The Jegs pipes have no cats, hence offroad, but on my Yukon there is no check engine light. Since I put the pipe on my Tahoe, I do have a light on, but I think the sensor may be bad, its reading high voltage, but I also noticed that the wires were pinched pretty good on the heat shield, so maybe have grounded out or cut the wires. But even before I put the pipe on, PO had removed one cat, and after getting the old pipes off, noticed the other cat was gutted, and there was no light on for it. So, find another garage. But like others said, if going with shorty headers, won't have to do much. But if want long tubes, still can be done, but will require custom exhaust. I've been checking, and can't find anyone that has an exhaust for long tubes.
Shorty headers dont do alot as far as hp and tq gains, long tube will help tq alot and hp. As far as a ready made kit idk but mine just cross over and go down passenger side then splits at dif

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't a 98 have duals anyway? My 98 has duals to a dual in dual out muffler. The duals to muffler are factory

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 99' 2 door Tahoe had 2 into the HUGE factory muffler and single out, exiting out the passenger side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk