Installing an LT1 in a 1997 K1500 SBSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I ran across a 93 Z-28 for sale today. Guy wants $2800 Says it doesnt run and his mechanic thinks it needs a new dizzy. Wish I had the coin.....

to bad you aint closer, I ran across a man in OKC today that picked up a core '94 and would prolly split the cost with ya, you keep the moter and trans possably the rear axel and him the rest.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
update

Update
first off the 4L60E is not going to last, she is showing signs of "giving up the ghost", I will be working to get a 4L80E ready soon!!!!. thought that I would update you on performance, as best as my program can tell me it pulls 12's in 1/8 mi???? is that good???? last saturday I picked up 3 1300lb round bails with my car hauler, and pulled them 50 miles home. there are several hills on this route, a couple that are 3 percent for 1/2 mile or so. set the cruise on 60 at the start of the run, pulling the hills she never dropped below 60mph, throttle did get up to 53% on one hill, but pulled it in 3rd, never shifted down. yes, I do know to not pull in OD!!! with the "60" now the "80" that is a whole new game. :evillol:

Ironroad9C1

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
Just to let you know the Iron heads that came on the 94-96 roadmaster, fleetwood, caprice and impalas offer up almost 20 % more airflow on the intake and exhaust... they are closer to the vortec head design than the Crappy Aluminum head f body engines.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
ya I heard -----after I turned down 4 iron headed LT1's for under $500, go figure!!!!!

Ironroad9C1

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
LMFAO....I love LT1's people don't respect em so I can get em Cheap ...and because people are not jizzing in their pants over LS engine ( Don;t know why) My parts cost are over half as much as ls parts, I mean jeeze the almost same parts with the same material parts cost almost 2 times as much for a LS as a LT engine just because of the hype of the "Great" LS ...lol I'll keep my perfect LT1.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
"I ran across a 93 Z-28 for sale today. Guy wants $2800 Says it doesnt run and his mechanic thinks it needs a new dizzy. Wish I had the coin..... "

ya you would recoup most of that parting out the body!! and have the drivetrain nearly free

I picked up a 94 Z28 with 2 motors. An LT1 that was knocking (ran with no oil) and an LT1 in immaculate condition, 25K miles

I'd never messed with that model camaro, I'm used to second and third gens. Long story short, we didn't know the subfram could be dropped and motor and trans put on, then just put back in place. We spent 2 weeks taking the motor apart to make it fit through the engine bay. Had to take it down all the way to just block oil pan and heads. After we got it in, the trans was a HUGE pita to put in and we couldn't figure out why. Dad called a friend at the chevy dealership who told us about the 4 bolts and subframe. We let out a few choice words when we heard that. It's suck a big pita that we haven't touched it in over a month (except I went in the shop and rubbed her fender a little a few days back). At this point, I'd prolly sell the thing so I could get my 85 running again and start other projects ('70 blown big block camaro, '72 Z28 SBC, and '75 Chevy Luv with SBC.)

At this point would I be better off fixing it, and selling, or parting out? Sorry to thread jack but this caught my eye!

Btw, got car and both motors for $1,750.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Update
first off the 4L60E is not going to last, she is showing signs of "giving up the ghost", I will be working to get a 4L80E ready soon!!!!. thought that I would update you on performance, as best as my program can tell me it pulls 12's in 1/8 mi???? is that good???? last saturday I picked up 3 1300lb round bails with my car hauler, and pulled them 50 miles home. there are several hills on this route, a couple that are 3 percent for 1/2 mile or so. set the cruise on 60 at the start of the run, pulling the hills she never dropped below 60mph, throttle did get up to 53% on one hill, but pulled it in 3rd, never shifted down. yes, I do know to not pull in OD!!! with the "60" now the "80" that is a whole new game. :evillol:
man i seriously suggest not going with the 4l80, dont get me wrong its an amazing transmission but its so much more money then just building the 4l60e yourself, your gonna pay atleast $1000 for the 4l80 but you can pick up new clutches, servos and even a shift kit for at most $300 and man is it an experience to build one