Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robbies95obs

Reaction score
Hey. Im new to this forum and have never been on one before so bear with me here.

I have a 1995 k1500 regular cab short bed.
Im wanting to do the 4l80e swap.
I have a 4l80e with transfer case and converter.
I was wondering if someone could help with with a list of things i will need to do this swap.

This is what iv come up with that i need so far but have questions on.

1 flex plate. What kind?

2 move cross member back.

3 computer programed/find this right one to swap out?

4 shift linkage and range selector?

5 wiring harness/build mine to work?

6 shorten front and rear drive shafts. How much length? Can i swap front another truck at least from the front?

7 is there any good videos/links that walk you threw this swap?

Im sure im forgetting something.. the option of me selling the truck and getting a k2500 is out of the question. Why? The truck was a gift from my WIFES father so most of you know the drill.

Thanks for bearing with me and i hope it wasnt confusing. Lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're on the right track. The truck that I did this swap in was a '97 C1500, so I'm not much help on the 4WD stuff but I'll answer what I can.

For the flexplate, look up one for a 2500/3500 truck with your engine and a 4L80E. You will need to have your computer tuned as you suspected, or swap it out for a correct one. Not sure who does tuning on pre-'96 PCMs but someone on the Gearhead EFI forums may be able to help. Your stock shift linkage and the range selector on the 80E should work fine. Nelson Performance, Spectre and a few other companies make a conversion harness for your trans harness plug if you don't want to repin it yourself, although it's very easy to do. You just move one wire and remove another. Here's a link describing this.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

The only other wiring modification necessary is adding two wires/pins to the PCM for the input speed sensor on the 80E. You can find which two pins to wire those up to in the factory service manual for your year of truck, which can be found here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Not sure about the front driveshaft, but for my 2WD swap my mechanic found a driveshaft out of a different truck that worked fine.

In addition to all the stuff you mentioned you'll also need different cooler lines (I made my own out of Russell ProFlex hose and -6AN fittings), a different transmission dipstick tube (the factory stick works fine, just need the tube) and probably some other small things I'm forgetting. Here's a link to my swap thread with a complete list of parts I used. Not all of them are necessary but I wanted to cover all the bases. If you don't have an AUX cooler I'd recommend adding one of those as well.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

Robbies95obs

Reaction score
Dang i just seen this lol im trying ro learn how everything works so if you see this post again i posted it twice. But anyways.

Wow! This is absolutely awesome information! I would have never guessed to get that detailed information. Thank you very much!

If i can figure out how to do it ill try and post pictures and sone details of my build/swap when i start it soon. Thank you 10 times over again.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome, good luck with your swap!