IFS Rebuild: What parts do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondered what parts I needed to rebuild my IFS. I'm having trouble with it eating tires 7 months after being on the truck.

So far I've replaced:

Idler Arm
Pitman Arm
(Currently have Tie Rod ends) yet to be installed
*Energy Suspension upper and lower control arm bushings

I'd like to keep everything Moog. Can any of you guys or gals chime in on what other parts I need and about how much the parts will cost?

I'm taking a break from getting cool "add on" stuff and I need to focus more on getting the truck running and driving properly.

PS: I won't do an SAS :p

Last edited:

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Energy suspension bushing kit. Drag-link.

Did you get an alignment done after you replaced any parts? An alignment in general will prevent premature tire wear.

Sent from Robland

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Energy suspension bushing kit. Drag-link.

Did you get an alignment done after you replaced any parts? An alignment in general will prevent premature tire wear.

Sent from Robland

I did get 2 alignments and it didn't solve the problem. I did have the control arm bushings replaced as well.

Edit: I see you're from Tamaqua, I have family in Sunbury and Coal Township.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I did get 2 alignments and it didn't solve the problem. I did have the control arm bushings replaced as well.

Edit: I see you're from Tamaqua, I have family in Sunbury and Coal Township.

Thats not far from me...are they a reputable shop? There is a guy up the road from me and he is fantastic. Are the tires wearing evenly across the tread?

Sent from Robland

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats not far from me...are they a reputable shop? There is a guy up the road from me and he is fantastic. Are the tires wearing evenly across the tread?

Sent from Robland

Yeah its a 4x4 shop about 1/4 mile from me. Alignment was done by National Tire and Battery. The tread isn't even at all, on the inside of both tires especially the driver side are almost bald. I'm 99% sure the IFS stuff on my truck is original. There has to be something wrong somewhere.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Upper control arm bushing and Ball Joints are most likely the culprit

Good point.

Yeah its a 4x4 shop about 1/4 mile from me. Alignment was done by National Tire and Battery. The tread isn't even at all, on the inside of both tires especially the driver side are almost bald. I'm 99% sure the IFS stuff on my truck is original. There has to be something wrong somewhere.

I'm not fond of NTB. Your alignment can't be right. I have taken my old ferd with a chitty front end and it stll came out perfect.

Sent from Robland