If I don't start it every day.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else have the issue where if you don't start your truck every day, it won't start at all? Lately I have been having this issue. When it first started doing this, I pulled the distributor cap, and noticed the aluminum contacts were corroded, which surprised me considering the cap was only 6 months old. So I replaced it with a brand name one with brass contacts. That worked great, for a week. When I try to start it, it sounds like it wants to start, but if I play with the throttle, it will back fire. Once I get it running, the only code it ever throws is the dreaded p0300 random misfire, Which I'm pretty sure is because I have the wrong spark plugs in it, which I plan to correct tomorrow. I had some shade tree mechanic help me with head swap and he said it would run fine with the cheap copper core a/c delco's. It has run fine like this for about a year now. still throwing the p0300, but reliable. First start every time. The fuel pump is about 6 months old and I am getting fuel pressure. I went through the hassle of using a cheap fuel pump and having it fail after a month. Learned my lesson about the right pump. Any ideas guys? I need this fixed before this weekend. Me and my wife can share one vehicle during the week but need separate vehicles for the weekend, conflicting work schedules.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
my truck wouldnt start after resting for more then a day and eventually if it was sitting for 8 hours, it would need a spray of starting fluid.....Long story short, the old spider injectors were leaking, upgraded to the delphi MFI setup, its been a good time ever since.

easy way to check without hooking up fuel pressure guage is grab a mechanics mirror and a flash light, pop open the throttle body valve and have a look inside, if its wet, or theres evidence of fuel in there, you got the same problem.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For now, I think I found the problem. Seems I had a loose ground at the battery. One wire was good, the other had corroded loose. Seems odd that it would turn over fine, but just wouldn't start, but Gift Horse. Jumped it off without doing anything else and she started right up. Then I replaced the cable ends. I'll update if it does this again and I find something else wrong. I plan to do the injector update as soon as finances allow. Right now, I just have to keep it running.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If those are the original 16 year old cables, they'll have more probs than just the corrosion on the ends. Probably corroded the whole length, internally.
Do 'The Big 3' upgrade.