idle problem. Vacuum? MAP sensor? Brake Booster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
On my phone, sorry for any spelling/ grammar errors!

Basically, the truck idles like crap! Sounds like it's missing, popping out of the exhaust, and sometimes even dies when putting it in gear.

Something VERY weird happened last night that made me think it's vacuum related. I was sitting at a red light, and decided to do some testing on the brake booster. Pushed the pedal as far as it would go, and sure enough, the idle went up VERY slightly.

But here's the kicker. When the light turned green and I let off the pedal, the brakes stayed locked for about 2 seconds, while the pedal slooowly came back up. And what's even more weird, the idle went waaaay high when the truck started rolling. My foot was nowhere near the gas pedal, but the RPM went up by about 750-1000rpm, then dropped back down.

Awhile back, I hooked her up to a snap-on scanner, and the MAP sensor was reading .82v at 975rpm, and 7.3inHg. Also noticed that it was going up and down every few seconds, graph looked like a heartbeat monitor.

I have sprayed Carb cleaner ALLL over the motor, brake booster, intake, TB, with not even a peep from the motor +other than the hesitation and popping out of the exhaust.

Anyone have a clue? Could my MAP sensor or brake booster be bad? All vacuum lines are fine, fuel and spark systems are working great, fuel pump outing out 12psi last I checked, brand new fuel filter, all vacuum lines are good. Anything else I can test?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Also should note that my brake pedal has progressively gotten softer since I got the truck. Its spongy up until about half travel, then its stiff. There's plenty of fluid and as far as I know, no air in the lines. I HAVE had problems with the ABS computer before, could that be playing with stuff?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Slight update. Disconnected the MAP connector and started the truck. Idled pretty good, besides SES coming on. Also, oil pressure gauge started bouncing a bit. Odd.

Valve on the brake booster is fine, and engine seems to be making tons of vacuum. Still idled higher when I stomped on the brake pedal, though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo