ICM questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Thomas

Reaction score
I have a 1992 K1500 5.7L, and I was reading on common problems trucks between 88-98 experince. I saw where "ICM" was mentioned several times.

1) What is it?
2) Where is it?
3) How hard is it to change?
4) How will I know when it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 Ignition Control Module
2 under the distributor cap, mounted to the distributor body with 2 screws.
3 Easy to change. Don't forget thermal paste on the metal surface the touches the distributor body as it is needed to release heat from the icm.
4 Typically randomly stalling when warm, no injector pulse or no spark are the common symptoms.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 Ignition Control Module
2 under the distributor cap, mounted to the distributor body with 2 screws.
3 Easy to change. Don't forget thermal paste on the metal surface the touches the distributor body as it is needed to release heat from the icm.
4 Typically randomly stalling when warm, no injector pulse or no spark are the common symptoms.
Would it also make it run weak (sputter out) and smell like gas when it's cold (below freezing)?
It's my trucks first winter in the (true) cold (Arizona to illinois) and she doesn't like starting below freezing

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How cold? Mine didn't like to start down around zero, always needed a rev or 2 in the first 10 seconds to keep from stalling.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would it also make it run weak (sputter out) and smell like gas when it's cold (below freezing)?
It's my trucks first winter in the (true) cold (Arizona to illinois) and she doesn't like starting below freezing

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.
No. First suspect would be your coolant temperature sensor (CTS) in the front of the intake manifold near the thermostat.

Richard