I hate it when crap breaks(window motor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, what a freaking nightmare to replace the window regulator motor. I don't know if you guys have ever done this before, but it is retarded.

So I haven't had a working driver's side window for a while. I went to the JY today and grabbed a switch. When I get home, the switch did not make a difference. Sooooo...I start taking everythinga apart and use my voltmeter to test the switches to make sure they are getting power at the motor connector. They are so I go to AZ and get a new motor. I take everything apart, and what the hell is up with all the rivets holding the regulator to the door and motor to reg?! My drill battery was dead, so I had to wait 30 minutes for that to charge up, drill out the rivets, motor assist spring goes shooting off somwhere. Oh by the way, did the engineers that designed this thing think it would be funny to put something together that was impossilbe to take apart or were they just stupid?! I also needed a dremmel to cut off on of the motor riverts because it was hidden beneath the reg gear(which could not be moved because the motor wouldn't turn). Anyway, get the whole SOB put back together and then try to hook it up to the car, and guess what, not working. So after dinking around with it for another 30 minutes testing the old motor(starts working), multiple switches(both work then don't work), I finally figure out the the whole time the motor was fine and that there was just a short at the motor harness. So I splice in one of the new connectors(3 different ones came with the new reg), finally get the whole thing back together and everything works.

All in all, I'm done, but a window regulator should NEVER take 5 hours. That is including drives to the parts store and time waiting for the battery to charge, but still, what a pain in my butt. If you read this whole rant I commend you.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess in the end you can atleast say you have a workin DS window now:hidesbehindsofa::lol:

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of this was partially a learning curve for myself. The most annoying thing was that you could not access all three of the bolts from the motor to the reg. To get it off I had to drill out 2 of the rivets and the 3rd one I had to cut the side off with a dremel. To reassemble, I had to put in 2 of the bolts, then go plug in the motor to the car and "raise" the motor all the way to expose the last bolt(which covered another one, but it was already fastened). I really should have taken some pics. I'm not the 1st one to do this I'm sure, but it would have been helpful information with good pictures I'm sure. If anyone is having issues with this in the future, feel free to hit me up with help.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
When the other side craps out, you will know what to check first and it will be a lot easier, and faster! :lol:

Jamesinator

Reaction score
They did this with the 4th gen F- bodies. My neighbors thought I looked crazy taking a jigsaw to the inside of my fiberglass door!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did this with the 4th gen F- bodies. My neighbors thought I looked crazy taking a jigsaw to the inside of my fiberglass door!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Do you need some manual regulators for that car?????