Humming noise when radio is on??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernhunter

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i have the radio on in my truck there is a pretty loud humming noise. When i rev the engine the noise gets even louder and a little more high-pitched. I have replaced the ground with a bigger cable attached to the chasis. Also re grounded the head unit and still nothing has changed. Any one have any ideas as to what this may be?:banghead:

southernhunter

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, two RF amps. One 500 watt (I believe, will have to check) and a 300 watt for the door speakers. Have already ran the ground again to the chassis and made sure everything's connected properly. Now I'm just completely lost to as what it could be.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are your amp power wires ran along side with your rcas? You need to keep those as separate as possible. Power on one side of the cab, rcas on the other....

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Probably ground loop noise.

Is it noticeably louder when the engine is running?

Look into adding some ground loop isolators. Grounding the headunit strait to the chasis helps sometimes too instead of using the factory ground wire and you can ground your RCAs as well.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got this problem in a 90 k2500 hd, all stock, drivin me nuts with the loud hum/buzz, its got the eq and tape deck.

southernhunter

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, the rca is on one side of the cab and the power wires are on the other side. Ive tried grounding the head unit to the chasis but that didnt help either. I guess im gonna just have to buy the isolator.. Thanks for the help though, everyone.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are all your other grounds good then? Engine to frame, frame to body etc....

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Might be bad RCA's. Could have a tear in the line somewhere.

I've only heard the whining twice before. First was with the stock deck, phone charging while hooked into (aux) in tape deck. Ground Loop Iso. fixed that
Second time was in a police car, I heard (the whining) from the backseat.... Long story

-Truckin-

southernhunter

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah all my other grounds are good, which is why I'm stuck as to what it is. It could be the RCA's, they were in my old truck when i had the wreck, coulda missed a tear when i was installing the new system.

Police car? :hmm: haha