Hummer 4l80e and 1995 k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going out on a limb here but it may be possible the military Humvee parts were made to a specific standard and not allowed to change over the years, to ease serviceability in the field and cut down on replacement parts inventory. Again, really stretching here as I have no direct knowledge, just a guess.

Richard

I think you're on to something. I was in the guard for a while, but the only knowledge I have of working on a humvee was when we would check the fluids, look for leaks, and drive them. They do all look alike and that makes sense that the military would do that to make field repairs easier. Be aware that some transmissions didn't have the "park" option. You put it in neutral and set the parking brake. I would also do a little more research on that tcase. Every mil spec humvee I've seen had no 2wd option. They were full time 4wd with low, neutral, high, and high lock options.

Cmstillwell67

Reaction score
Awd k3500!! Haha the 242 transfer case can be driven on the street in 4wd without hurting anything but I'm going to leave out the front drive shaft until winter. And your right about the park. I remember being in a hummer that you did have to set the parking brake but I think that is in the really old ones.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The regular hummers we had had no park, but the up armored ones did. At least from what I remember. Most of the regular ones we had were a little older though.

Cmstillwell67

Reaction score
I was sure to check how many gears It had today and by counting the number of clicks my transmission does have park. Also I looked at the plug in the trans and it doesn't even have those 2 extra wires that are at t and u on the pig tail. So that pin out should be identical to the pigtail on my truck. All I should need to do is find a shift cable bracket, linkage from the transfer case to selector in floor, yoke for the np232 and correct u-joint for my driveshaft, and correct torque converter and I should be good to go. I'm hoping I don't need to shorten or lengthen my driveshaft.

Cmstillwell67

Reaction score
My truck has the 5.7 and I don't have any converter. I'm going to order one but I didn't know if there is any difference in years or spline count on the 4l80e. I know there is a difference between the gas and diesel. Should I just order one for a 95 k3500 with 5.7? Or should I order one for a 2005 gas truck with 4l80e?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I am sure you already know, the diesel converter has a lower stall speed than the gas engine and the 05 with an LS motor would have a higher stall than the gas 95 would have had, I would personally use the gas 05 converter.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're suggesting he bolt an LS converter to a 350?! What he wants is the B82 converter, it's the late higher stall converter for the 97-99 5.7 Vortec engine. It's what I have in my truck and it stalls around 2000.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know I actually momentarily forgot about the nose of the converter fitting in the crank bore/flex plate hole, I was just thinking about them both being 6 bolt converters, I have never tried to use an LS converter with an older motor, I suppose it more than likely won't fit. I have however used the older type converter with an LS motor, so I know that works.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well the 4.3 still exists. It uses an adapter bolted to the crank. But the real easy route here, since the 6.5 is an old style 4L80, is to use a high stall factory 350 converter which ends up being a B82. I want to say that the B80 is the 6.5/7.4 converter. It was an odd transition going from a tight converter with wide ratio 4L60 to a looser converter with narrow ratio 4L80. Obviously the taller 1/2 sucked some life out of my truck as did the 70# converter, but under light throttle the truck seemed more effortless. It didn't bog between shifts at all. Conversely, there was less to look forward to on a downshift. That door swings both ways.