How useful is an air/fuel gauge? A-pillar gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
I converted to a carb on my 94 due to the engine build is too much for the TBI.

Anyway I still have an O2 in the exhaust so I thought about adding an air/fuel gauge on the a-pillar. I really want a trans temp gauge on the a-pillar to keep an eye on my TH700R4. I also thought about a vaccume gauge for fuel milage.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think an AF ratio gauge is very important, and with a carb it could help you dial in the AF ratio too!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a real AFR gauge with a wideband O2 sensor would be very useful...an AFR gauge that just reads off a stock narrowband wouldn't be.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you want a A/F guage you will need to get a wideband o2 sensor for the guage to operate properly.

Damn ya beat me to it:lol:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heh, yeah, I've seen ones that are made to try and run off the narrowbands and they're pretty much useless.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
Would it be redundant to run a vac gauge and a AF gauge? I mean what are some reasons to monitor the AF mixture? I can see it being useful for intial tuning. I would imagine with both vac and AF gauges, a guy could see where he was running at the most vac and a bit lean and that would most likely be where youor going to get the best MPG on a long trip. Am I correct?

I would also think that, say your getting a missfire, would that show up on the AF meter as a rich condition? Would the fuel filter getting dirty show up as a lean condition?

I have never run one. I have had friends that ran them and thats what they used to know when it was best/safe to use NO2. But to me they seamed like just a flickering light gizmo... From what I have read a wide band is a lot more accurate, does that mean it would flicker less or more?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I just dont know the usefulness of this gauge, after initial tuning that is.

I would also like to point out this trucks engine is the highest performance engine I have ever tried to use as a daily driver, so i would like to keep my eye on as much as possible, as long as its useful info and not just a flickering light for ricers to oogle at. Im not trying to down play the gauge I am just assuming the ones I have seen are narrow band and less than useful as they flickered all over the gauge face from lean to rich.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the flickering light ones are the useless ones, they run off the stock narrowband sensors, which don't tell you much...you want a wideband sensor and gauge which is a regular gauge and shows you an actual value.
something like this, which reads out an actual value run from a wideband:
You must be registered for see images

it is extremely useful in tuning to make sure that the fuel that is being given is the correct amount, vacuum gauge can be helpful, probably moreso with carb than EFI...with efi, a AFR gauge isn't really needed either, since the wideband data can be logged directly. so, since you're carb, you may get more use from the gauges than I do.

I run 3 external gauges, AFR, Boost/vac, and fuel pressure...since I can log most anything on my laptop, the most useful gauge out of the 3 for me is the fuel pressure.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a narrowband o2 on my Camaro back when I was young & dumb, and it doesn't do much because it's only accurate around 14.7:1. It is better than nothing though. If you have any tip in problems or want to adjust cruise it is still useful. I had a hesitation that I was sure was a rich condition that was actually a quick lean spike...visible even with a NBo2.

I have used a wideband for my other two and it is far superior to the NBo2, but I wouldn't call the NBo2 useless. And since you already have it and the gauges are cheap, go for it. A WBo2 is a couple hundred that you might not need to spend if you're happy with WOT and want to tune the cruise circuit.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't bother. Running a WBO2 on a carb engine will drive you to the point of insanity, because it will swing all over the place.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a narrowband o2 on my Camaro back when I was young & dumb, and it doesn't do much because it's only accurate around 14.7:1. It is better than nothing though. If you have any tip in problems or want to adjust cruise it is still useful. I had a hesitation that I was sure was a rich condition that was actually a quick lean spike...visible even with a NBo2.

I have used a wideband for my other two and it is far superior to the NBo2, but I wouldn't call the NBo2 useless. And since you already have it and the gauges are cheap, go for it. A WBo2 is a couple hundred that you might not need to spend if you're happy with WOT and want to tune the cruise circuit.

for tuning or really anything requiring some precision, a NBO2 gauge is pretty much useless. however, if you just wanted to monitor general trends like your re-occuring lean splike, then it would be better than nothing. so maybe 'useless' is a bit harsh, but still, I wouldn't recommed them to anyone.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Running a WBO2 on a carb engine will drive you to the point of insanity, because it will swing all over the place.

yeah on a carb you're probably right, it would still be a useful tool, but for a carb, the cost may not be worth it. for EFI and tuning, its by far one of the best tools you can get....but nowadays I only work with EFI, so that's what I deal with all the time, I haven't played with a carb in a decade or so.