How tough is it to replace rear spring bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
1990 C1500 5.7, auto shifter, standard cab short box

The truck has been lowered by the P.O. (previous owner) Spindles in the front and a spring relocating kit/shackles in the rear. The PO used what looks like quality parts but if it were me i would have replaced the bushing in the process. That's just me, but....

I can feel something give when i accelerate from a stop. Not every time but maybe 25% of the time. I'm guessing it depends on how heavy my foot is for the most part. Still something isn't quite right. I didn't see any shiny metal or signs of movement next to the new spring brackets so assume it's the bushings.

Do the springs need to be removed from the axle? Will an air hammer punch out the bushing? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Never had to do spring bushings before.

Thanks!

Ken

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Take the leaf packs out and take them to a shop if you don't have a press. Shops usually don't charge much to press out/in. It's worth saving yourself the headache imo. Or... Harbor freight 20 ton press...

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a look at your trans mount. Mine was completely failed it, and I could feel it shifting around at times. Tough to tell while it is installed, as mine looked fine in the truck.

I replaced with an Energy suspension mount, which is tougher, and stiffer.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Kind of iffy practice on spring steel but I've had success burning them out with propane and inserting polyurethane

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're an asspain, but I did my last set without a press in my garage. I heated the center sleeve until it was hot enough to melt the rubber and slide out. Next I used the air hammer to push out the rubber and last I used a cutting bit in my air hammer to cut all the way down the outer sleeve. I did this where the spring wraps back onto itself and there is a void. Then I was able to fold it in on itself and slide it out. The bushing went back in with a 10# sledge wailing down on a 2x4. Numers 2x4 scraps were sacrificed to the cause, but I got it done. In the past, when using a press, I had disassembled the leaf pack so I was only handling the main leaf. When I did it in the garage the leaf pack I was working with was nice and clean so I just slapped it in.