How to unseize an engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Spark plugs installed is not the problem. Open valves and humidity on bare iron bores is the problem.

Lots of humidity in BC.

Load 'er up with oils and let 'er sit. If it comes loose: great.

If it doesn't, well.....:)
Im hoping its going to free up, but who knows.

I do have another block, was hoping to get the pistons/rods out of this engine at the very least, I have a set of 7 454 rod/pistons right now.

im in no rush, long term plan was to build a BBC for my '94, i haven't even decided cubic inch yet, looking at 427 or 454.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I take it you have no drive clean / smog inspection in BC? Are you planning on going to a carb with a regulator and the whole package or buying an injection system?

Budget?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I take it you have no drive clean / smog inspection in BC? Are you planning on going to a carb with a regulator and the whole package or buying an injection system?

Budget?

Not where he lives. They have it in Vancouver...supposed to be scrapped in 2014 I hear: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/AirCare+program+after+years/6674280/story.html

I love this part:

The decision was also attacked by the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union, Local 378, which represents the employees at Pacific Vehicle Testing Technology, which administers the program.

Of course they do, they get paid to test, fail and fix the bloody cars!

Lol!

Last edited:

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I worked on a small forklift engine (3 cylinder diesel) and it was locked up as well. Obviously no spark pkug holes but I was able to take the head off and I used kroil (orange can) and let it sit for 2 days in each cylinder except the one that was at tdc. I was able to get the one at tdc to move down a tad by taking wood amd a hammer after the others were free. So kroil works too. But ive seen tests done and the atf/acetone mix is actually the best.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

Budget?

:think:

My truck has been carb swapped for years, currently has about a 375HP 355 SBC in it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well, first thing to do is decide on a power level and go from there. If you are making in the 500 hp or less range, I would go with hypereutectic pistons. ( tight clearances, quiet, less emissions when cold, more heat stays in the combustion chamber ) Over that, I would select a forged piston.

The stock cylinder heads are ok, but not great... they are basically boat anchors in today's world. A set of Edelbrock Performer RPM heads would definitely a step in the right direction, as well as other heads from different manufactuers.

If you buy complete heads, check to make sure the installed springs are going to be good enough for your camshaft, otherwise you will waste money going that route. Regarding cams, I would select a retro fit hydraulic roller if you intend to keep the RPM down below 6000, and even that is the outside unless you have a 'rev kit' to keep the roller lifters from leaving the nose of the cam.

Solid rollers can make more power at higher RPM, but the caveat is higher spring pressures, and driven on the street require maintenance in the form of valve adjustments. Even with relatively low duration compared to a flat tappet camshaft, a roller will give you MUCH better cylinder filling and scavenging. It's worth the money to retrofit.

You could use the stock crank if it's in decent shape... even a cast crank will survive a 550 ~ 600 HP power level. However, if it needs turning, and the rods need resizing and you need to buy pistons anyways.... it would make sense to get a complete balanced rotating assembly to drop in your block. Displacement is king!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
This will be a mild rebuild, large oval ports to replace the peanut ports, performer 2-O intake, mild cam, headers, that's about it...

Regardless I need to get this broken loose.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
I restore tractors over the winter as extra income. I have seen some very very tight engines. Pull the heads and dump a 50/50 mix of acetone/atf in the cylinders. Wd40 will never work and for those of you using wd40 its time to upgrade to a better penetrating oil. Best shelf avalible is liquid wrench, Pb blaster at your local walmart second best. Thr best i have evervfound is kroil. Google it. Once you use the 50/50 mix let it sit for a couple days, and use a cheater bar on the crank. (Always turn clockwise) i have had ab engine where i had to use a 6' cheater on the breaker bar and let a 5 gallon pail hang off the end over night sometimes over 2 nights. These are engines wich have sit in fence rows the past 60 years or so sometimes without cylinder heads, oil pans, echaust etc. Never had atf acetone mixture fail.
EDIT: excuse my typing. Still getting used to smart phone touch screen. Used to have a keyboard .....
Sent from the driver's seat of a 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Last edited:

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Everyone needs to realize that wd-40 is a water based lubricant. The one thing it it's good for its wrong your truck down with it before you go mudding. The dirt just comes right off when you house it down and it will not hurt your paint. It's also good for cleaning windows.

Like started before, if you want a good penetrating oil in an arousal can, get kroil out pb blaster.

Sent from ®obland

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Everyone needs to realize that wd-40 is a water based lubricant. The one thing it it's good for its wrong your truck down with it before you go mudding. The dirt just comes right off when you house it down and it will not hurt your paint. It's also good for cleaning windows.

Like started before, if you want a good penetrating oil in an arousal can, get kroil out pb blaster.

Sent from ®obland

I think you're thinking about armour all being water based. Or maybe you meant water displacing vice water based.

WD40 is a water displacer and it is petroleum based, it has no water in it:

What does WD-40 stand for?

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 Multi-Use Product are secret, we can tell you what it does NOT contain. WD-40 Multi-Use Product does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, graphite, or chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

That's from their web site. As with all advertising, take with a grain of salt.

I'm not a big fan of WD, but it works reasonably well when used as intended. I've used it with success on wet ignition wires before. Not so much as a penetrating fluid. It works, but can't hold a candle to Liquid Wrench. ReleasAll is just about as good (maybe better) than Liquid Wrench.

ReleasAll is 40-70% Kerosene by the MSDS sheet. http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00002/00257253-20111224.PDF

I`ll wager that the other penetrants aren`t far off that mark with a few "proprietary" ingredients.

We use LPS1/2/3 LST at work. Blows everything away.

But none of them work as well as the smoke wrench......:rofl:

Last edited: