How to unseize an engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98LS6Speed

Reaction score
50/50 Mix of Berrymans and Marvel. Unstuck the 340 in my 73 Duster after 10+ yrs of being locked up. Now runs great and no smoke

Just fill it up through the spark plug holes and try to rock it back and forth after a week with a breaker bar on the bolt on the front of the crank

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
is it unstuck yet? is your valvtrain unfrozen yet? id turn the engine upside down pull the pan and soak it in the acetone atf mix. if its that bad the bearings and everything could be locked together, maybe not rusted just stuck together. i had one engine that the crank was snappe din 3 places and siezed but it was in a beautiful lifted suburban, unsiezed the engine while it was in the truck, using a breaker bar, long extension, car ramp and a friend truck to drive over it and break the rotating assembly loose after lubing. started right up after that and we drove it home, purred like a klitten even with a snapped crank

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
is it unstuck yet? is your valvtrain unfrozen yet? id turn the engine upside down pull the pan and soak it in the acetone atf mix. if its that bad the bearings and everything could be locked together, maybe not rusted just stuck together. i had one engine that the crank was snappe din 3 places and siezed but it was in a beautiful lifted suburban, unsiezed the engine while it was in the truck, using a breaker bar, long extension, car ramp and a friend truck to drive over it and break the rotating assembly loose after lubing. started right up after that and we drove it home, purred like a klitten even with a snapped crank

It's still Locked up, before I went to work I filled every cylinder with ATF/acetone to the point it was flowing out of spark plug hole, then put plugs in so it would stay in the cylinder. Then I dumped ATF all over the valvetrain.

Still haven't taken heads off.