How to lift the box off the safest way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
im lifting the box off sometime soon, and want to know the safest way to do so with a fork lift. i was thinking 2X4's across going under the bed rails. then 2 4X4's lengthwise. of course the 4X4's would be high enough for the forks to fit under. would that work, or will the box cave in?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 78 I just made an x with ratchet straps that you would use to tie stuff down in the bed. Then picked it up using an engine hoist. I did have to add another strap to the front to help level it because I was by myself. If you had a helper they could easily balance it instead.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 78 I just made an x with ratchet straps that you would use to tie stuff down in the bed. Then picked it up using an engine hoist. I did have to add another strap to the front to help level it because I was by myself. If you had a helper they could easily balance it instead.

Ditto. Super easy, I've done it with a long bed dually as well.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I used one of the holes in the stake pockets up front an the tailgate latch in the back...

Thanks! That seems to be safer than the way I was going to try when I do this by myself.
I was thinking of using some stake pocket eyes with the expandable rubber bases. That'd be O.K. for taking the old box off. If it drops, Oh well! Didn't want to test those eyes when putting on the new box, though!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
I used the ratchet strap idea on my old box, and it almost folded. and we'd pick it up by ourselves but we have to carry it across our yard. which is a square acre. so it isnt that easy.