How To: LEDs in the Stock Radio and Slave CD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBru

Reaction score
Thank you for the tutorial. I have followed it. Most problematic part are those 1/8" nuts on front panel PCB. I have around 300 bits and sockets at home, but no 1/8" hexagonal nut driver! They can be removed with a french key, but there is also one in this hole in the metal shield. I had to grinded 1/8" in 4 milimiter IKEA allen key to be able to remove this nut :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Also when desoldering original light bulbs, I am using "desoldering wire" to clean holes on PCB:

You can put rosin and heat the wire on it and it will suck solder out of holes thanks to capillary rise.

I did not check my results yet before I will assemble the radio back, but in the PCB it looks like the grounding plane is quite obviously spread around so cathode of LED is going there.

MrBru

Reaction score
Finished my LED resoldering for stock radio, used these 3 milimiter LEDs, but also 5 mm will fit easily:

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/optoelectronics/led-indication-discrete/105?k=LED&k=&pkeyword=LED&sv=0&s=56739&s=56740&sf=0&FV=4fc0027,ffe00069&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

Ground/negative is spread around the PCB, so you will not mistakenly switch anode/cathode. If you want to test LEDs on the bench to see that it works, there are separate voltage and ground pins on the red wired connector.

Last edited: