How to id a rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dads friend is selling his 95 z71 and he decided to swap his wheels and tires for mine plus a marlin .22. While we were swapping tires we realized my rear end is different than his. I wasnt able to look at his rpo codes but mine says its posi 3.42's. Is there a way i can tell if it is the original rear end without having to open the rear end? My hub and rear end is nothing compared to his.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
He prolly has the 14 bolt sf. And you prolly have the 10 bolt. His will have rpo f44 I think is what it is.
You could always do the easy thing and count the bolts that hold the dif cover on.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure its the same gear ratio because ive heard that if the gears are different between the front and rear that it could mess up the tranny

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
If you have put it in 4wd before before and your 4wd still works then your gears match. It's also more so your transfer case that is gonna go boom if you have different ratios.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4wd doesnt work because the solenoid is messed up. The previous owner said it works but he had to ground it for it to engage.