How many quarts? (fluid questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LD's are not a race part, it is intended for off-road traction and slick conditions. They break when guys drop the clutch, power stands, blow the tires off, doughnuts in the WalMart parking lot, etc.

I've had LD diffs in three 10 bolt GM trucks, and in a 14 bolt, for a sum total of 200K-250K miles, including towing, they never missed a beat...........

Cheers for that. That's a genuine relief as there are only two components I'm worried about failing and the diff is one of them. In the UK, the option of going to a breaker's yard and pulling one from a truck just isn't realistic - hence the concern.
My Suburban is my daily transport and I really want to both look after it and tweak it and improve it compatible with that. If I want something to be an idiot in I'll stick the R1 engine in the smart. The bus is to be looked after.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheers for that. That's a genuine relief as there are only two components I'm worried about failing and the diff is one of them. In the UK, the option of going to a breaker's yard and pulling one from a truck just isn't realistic - hence the concern.
My Suburban is my daily transport and I really want to both look after it and tweak it and improve it compatible with that. If I want something to be an idiot in I'll stick the R1 engine in the smart. The bus is to be looked after.

Keep the diff fluid clean. The manual in my 96 and 02 Express/Savana just says to the effect "check and fill as needed"--what a bunch of baloney. Change the fluid 25k-35k. The diff(s) will like you for it.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an open 10 bolt that wasted the spider gears and cross pin. Then again, when I changed its gear oil, barely anything came out. Still though, bigger diff more better.

Given my druthers I'd take a 14 bolt over a 10 bolt even though they add weight and take more hp to turn. But for what a half ton/350 can reasonably tow or haul, it's not something that is truly a weak link in the system. Just regularly changing out fluids/lubes and filters eliminates a lot of heartaches in any truck.......

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Given my druthers I'd take a 14 bolt over a 10 bolt even though they add weight and take more hp to turn. But for what a half ton/350 can reasonably tow or haul, it's not something that is truly a weak link in the system. Just regularly changing out fluids/lubes and filters eliminates a lot of heartaches in any truck.......
Yes I never have understood how GM thinks that little pipsqueak PF46E oil filter that doesn't even hold 8 ounces of oil,is supposed to get the job done in a 6.0 or any LS for 7500 miles like they say the oil change interval is. I don't need the computer telling me when it thinks it's time for new oil and filter.....
And yes proper lubrication and fluid service goes a long way toward making your truck go a long way!

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I never have understood how GM thinks that little pipsqueak PF46E oil filter that doesn't even hold 8 ounces of oil,is supposed to get the job done in a 6.0 or any LS for 7500 miles like they say the oil change interval is. I don't need the computer telling me when it thinks it's time for new oil and filter.....
And yes proper lubrication and fluid service goes a long way toward making your truck go a long way!

The tiny filter on the 4wd's still makes me think about a remote filter setup at times. Then again, that just leads to more plumbing and potential leaks.......the idea of going 5k between oil changes with that filter is nuts......and if I'm going to crawl under there and go to the trouble of changing the filter hanging over the driveshaft I may as well uncork the oil pan too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I changed it at 40k but have no idea if that is its first change.
You've reminded me though, I still have what came out - I can go and take a look (and a sniff).

Mine didn't require a sniff to tell me I'd gone too far.

You must be registered for see images attach

Luckily a can of Berryman's cleaned it right up.

You must be registered for see images attach