How many AC cores in a Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good to know! Didn't know there was something available to do that. I've never seen a 400 suburban that didn't have factory air conditioning, but they may exist somewhere. Since 99 was the last year of this generation (and the few that were released as 2000 classic models) I think GM was trying to use up all the old generation parts since they were going to new trucks and new engines. Both my 99 Burbs have front and rear air and heat. I haven't tried to get into accessing the heater or evaporator cores but if it's anything like getting to the blower motor it'll be fun and not the good kind. Worst part for me about the rear heat is the little plastic fittings under the hood in the heater hoses that like to leak. Why GM didn't make these from metal? Just to save a penny or 2 I suppose

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The problem could be inside the dashboard control switch, they're notorious for going out on these trucks. Replaced several on both mine

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI trucks 88-95: alt on the driver side, A/C on the passenger side
Vortec trucks 96+: alt on the passenger side, A/C on the driver side.
There's virtually no variation from this.

You are right. I just dug up an old pic of the engine compartment of my 91 light K2500, and I'll be darned if the alternator wasn't on the driver side. My bad, I have Vortec on the brain........

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem could be inside the dashboard control switch, they're notorious for going out on these trucks. Replaced several on both mine

My first problem is zero gas. My second problem would be tracing the leak. From everything I see about AC, leaks are a common problem and rectifying them a PITA. True for a Suburban also?

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst part for me about the rear heat is the little plastic fittings under the hood in the heater hoses that like to leak. Why GM didn't make these from metal? Just to save a penny or 2 I suppose

Their metal is not much better. the aluminum quick connect fitting from the heater core to the manifold literally turned into hard claylike material up to the actual threads on my state serviced 99 k2500.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Too bad they didn't make them from brass....like marine fittings. Probably too expensive. I can confirm about the whole system getting drained by one small leak, happened on the old 99 and on my Dad's 06 Yukon XL Denali. Had to go across Houston to get the long hose set that goes from front to back custom made, IIRC it was kinda expensive. And yes, not having freon in the system (should be R134A) is going to make it harder to diagnose.
That stuff isn't cheap in Texas, don't know how much you have to pay for it in Scotland or how convenient a place to buy it is for you. In Texas the auto parts stores are considered essential businesses. Laundromats are too but I've been told in some other communities from mine that they are closed. Getting back on topic, hope this helps you get it figured out; someone here on this forum has an answer for you. Good luck and let us know how it works out. We all have old trucks so someone's had this problem and we all will eventually....