How can I get more power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys I drive a 98 Silverado 2500, 4x4, x-cab, Long Bed, 350 Vortec, with a 1-ton rear end. Im wanting to know what kind of performance mods I can do to it to get me some more power. This truck is my daily driver and is coming up on 200k miles. Im not looking to do any internal mods until i have a new truck but what kind of little things can I do?

You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What's your budget?

If you don't want to do any internal things, new injectors, and a tune. Call it good.

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Now I had heard from a friend that some kind of spacer between the intake manifold and the efi would give me a little more power. Do you know anything about that?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Now I had heard from a friend that some kind of spacer between the intake manifold and the efi would give me a little more power. Do you know anything about that?

yup, its bogus.

It does help on TBI trucks, but Vortecs are an entirely different animal. Spacers don't do a thing on these :cheers:

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Ok what about short headers? Summit makes some that bolt up to the stock pipes.

I had Shorty headers on my 96 vortec I can't say it gave me more power per day, but it helped out with throttle response and mpgs for sure. and if you put headers and a good exhaust it'll sound great too!

Sent from my static android

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Check my sig for all my mods that I've done. All of it is Bolt On's with the exception of the MPFI which took a little bit of digging to get to but only ended up taking me about 3 hours to do. Everything I've done has WAY woke up my big ole' heavy truck. Leaves tailgaters in the dust :).

Heres some info on EFI live for your truck. You got lucky with it being a 98 and don't have to swap to the 411 PCM.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?3066-EFI-on-5-7-Vortec