High volume oil pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
Has anyone here installed one of these? I have a 4.3 liter that runs 30-35 psi and I'm going to be replacing oil cooler lines, oil cooler gasket and the pan gasket (all leaking). If I get one of these pumps I'd like to know if id have to clearance the pan. I called melling and they said its a small chance but couldn't give me a for sure answer.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its not worth it IMO. Its too easy to turn the engine up high and suck the pan dry of oil with a high volume pump. A quality stock replacement should do the job fine. Do a little research on it, Im not the only one against them unless you have a 9 quart oil pan.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^x999999 with a stock motor you WILL suck the pan dry.. it's been proven many many times on many many sites...... the low pressure is most likely clearance issues in the bearings, to muck that is.. a high volume pump can not fix worn parts... or it could be that your oil cooler gasket and lines are leaking enough that it can not build pressure past that....odder things have happened....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You HAVE to have a high capacity oil pan when you run a high volume pump.

-via Mobile

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
That was one of my concerns even though melling claims that will not happen. I'm not in it for "performance " as much as I am into it just to get my 155000 mile motor to last longer by upgrading the oiling system while I'm replacing all the gaskets. The 4.3 is a very low rpm motor which makes me think I'd be ok...but idk. I've been told that lifters have metering valves that would limit oil flow.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
There is no advantage to a high volume pump in a stock engine....If you werent getting enough oil, it would have blown long ago rather than just wearing a bit like it normally does with that mileage on it

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
After reading all this I think I'll just go with a good stock pump. Once I have all the leaky gaskets replaced and a new pump I may go up a bit oil pressure wise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont