Help with bouncing Volt Meter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sback2010

Reaction score
Hi, on my chevy c2500 1996 5.7 When I turn my turnsignals on, my volt meter bounces and when I turn on my headlights, the volts drop to around 11 and then recover. I was wondering how to fix this problem or if anyone knows about it.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds liek a short almost or not getting a clean connection, on my dads obs 99' burb 5.7 the alternatore gauge jumps around back and forth the whole time driving it havent touched anything cuz i dont want the alternator to go out lol

but for your situation your alternator might be going bad MAYBE! dubt it, or first check your power connection to the battery mine usually corrodes so im going to upgrade it with a twist in connection and put heat shrink to make it look all professional and wont corrode anymore

also take a pic of your battery posts n post it on here if u can

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe ur alternator cable is lose ive only changed mine on my truck once and i was at a mudpit pffft so i went home got a new one at oriellys put it in and volts were back to normal

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the voltage at the battery and make sure its not just the gauge. if you're getting the same voltage fluctuations at the battery, then it could be a number of things from bad gounds, battery going out, alternator going out, internal wire corrosion, bad connections, etc.

if the voltage doesn't fluctuate under the same conditions at the battery then it is likely a gauge issue.