Help. Chasing a hesitation issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
If the PCM thinks you're running too lean, it'll add fuel and possibly foul spark plugs too. Even maybe plug the cat with un-burned fuel?

EDit: Oops I forgot you don't have a cat, huh?
I flashed the codes and got code 54, on the 95 is that the fuel circuit failure code?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what it looks like. Does your fuel pump come on for ~2 seconds when you turn the key on? If not it's relying on your oil pressure switch to turn it on.

What's your fuel pressure? As suggested you may have a partially plugged filter or weak pump.

Did you check your base timing with the EST (Black/Tan) wire disconnected? It s/b set @0*

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
That's what it looks like. Does your fuel pump come on for ~2 seconds when you turn the key on? If not it's relying on your oil pressure switch to turn it on.

What's your fuel pressure? As suggested you may have a partially plugged filter or weak pump.

Did you check your base timing with the EST (Black/Tan) wire disconnected? It s/b set @0*
The pump runs when you cut the key on but it sounds super high pitched, and I can hear it going down the road . I haven’t got a way to test fuel pressure but I’m going to change the filter today, I will also check base timing

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t got a way to test fuel pressure
You can borrow one from your favorite parts house that goes where your fuel filter does. Or go here and order the fuel pressure adapter and gauge. You could also get the AFR.

http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

It looks like this installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Either way, you should know what your pressure is.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how to get the water out without draining the tank
You can disconnect the supply line to the TB, jump the fuel pump relay and pump it into a bottle until the water goes away and you're pumping nothing but clean gas. Plus maybe add a can of Heet to help absorb it?

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
You can disconnect the supply line to the TB, jump the fuel pump relay and pump it into a bottle until the water goes away and you're pumping nothing but clean gas. Plus maybe add a can of Heet to help absorb it?

I sure do hope it’s just water making the truck act up, I don’t know why In neutral you can rev and rev and rev and it not stutter or hesitate but only does it in hear, especially in 4th gear, and I cleared the 54 code out and drove around for awhile and it hasn’t set that code back in the ECM,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep plugging away at it, fix the cheap stuff 1st. Then see what happens. There's an old saying - after you eliminate all possibilities whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit