Help! Can't get rear axle bearing out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So I tore down my 98's 10 bolt yesterday to do seals and bearings. Turns out the pass side was fubar. Bearing had eaten into the axle A LOT. Kicker is, the pass side was already one of those axle saver bearings. So using the axle saver I bought is out of the question. Had to order a new axle shaft. Both seals were leaking btw, but the axle on the drivers side is beautiful. Got the drivers side all back together. However, the pass side is not budging. I used heat and slammed a slide hammer for about an hour yesterday, along with a lot of liquid wrench, and it didn't move a hair. Late last night I went and picked up the jaws for the slide hammer, I had been using the bearing puller attachment. Got the drivers side out in 5 seconds with the bearing puller attachment.

Any ideas?????

Gears are gorgeous, thankfully:

You must be registered for see images attach

The side that is being a b*tch:

The good axle:

The bad axle:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Well what I've don't before is take the chunk out and get a long piece of pipe and slide all the way thru the axle from the drivers side to the pass side and hit the back side of the bearing using a BMFH!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I have no interest in having to re-lash gears and what not, never done that and just not comfortable doing that in my parking spot at my apartment.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I have no interest in having to re-lash gears and what not, never done that and just not comfortable doing that in my parking spot at my apartment.

All you do is pull off the carrier and reinstall it and torque the main cap bolts. You do not have to do anything with the gears. Just keep the shims on the correct sides.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
**** I just realized I already have the other side put back together. I could pull the new bearing on that side and it still be good right? I have an extra seal.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Alright, going to Home Depot in a few minutes to get a couple tungsten carbide cutting tips for my Dremel, and then I'm going to try to cut almost all the way through it in 2-3 places to allow it to crush when I'm pounding it with the slide hammer. Wish me luck.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any I guess. I've done the same thing as the other poster, just pull the pumpkin out and go at 'er with a long pipe, bar, whatever. If you have a puller, tighten that down as tight as she'll go and then use the above mentioned method, she should come.

That's assuming cutting it out doesn't work...be careful with that one.