help, 1996 k2500 vortec 350, boggs after 3/4 throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devinsls

Reaction score
hello, I have a 1996 k2500 with 211xxx on it, I have had a lot of problems since I passed 20000. the most recent is that it has nothing past 3/4v throttle. if you do wot, it will bogg down and pop and just not go at all, it does this in gear and in park. in park, if you go wot, it will go to about 3500rpm then bogg, but ig you let out it will idle up. I have replaced the tps, the speed sensor( it needed it), replaced front o2 sensors, and removed the cats and nothing has changed, any ides? I did a fuel pump not to long ago also, im thinking towards injectors and such now due to the slight smell of gas when running

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I would check your fuel pressure. Should be around 60 ish. Whether you replaced the pump long ago or not. Many auto parts stores will rent you a fuel pressure tester, or you can get them off ebay for less than 50 bucks. Very worthwhile purchase if you own a Vortec IMO.

If your pressure is low, look at fuel filter first, pressure regulator, fuel pump etc.

As for the injectors, pull your air breather assembly off the throttle body and look down with a flashlight (engine off, obviously). If it's wet in there and smells like gas, more than likely your injector tubes are leaking. That test can condemn the injector assembly, but can't necessarily prove it's good if you don't see those signs. You may need to pull the upper (plastic) intake manifold.

devinsls

Reaction score
I checked the fuel pressure first, it was about 53~. fuel filter is brand new. I took off the upper intake (plastic) and it was really dirty in there, like quarter inch of oily . the lines on the spider were dry rotted so I bought a new one on rock auto and am waiting on that now. but while I was waiting I took off the lower intake to clean it too cause it was only 8 more bolts, ill let you know what happens when I get it back togeather

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
53 is way low on a Vortec. My truck would sputter and die and wouldn't start without priming around 52-54

Sent from somewhere between here and there