Heat riser - necessary? 1994 TBI 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the fender would be very restricve. Earlier trucks had some sort of plastic shroud/insert/something inside. I don't know what year that stopped. I'd think the volume in there would be great enough such that a sudden inrush to the engine would have adequate supply that would quickly be replenished by all the leaks around the edges. I have zero to back that up, Though.

It's more the plastic thing the fender sucks from that I question. I bet there's tons of surface area in the fender itself. But then again, that plastic dealie pulls from a high pressure area so. . .

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
I've never liked the aftermarket dual air intake air cleaners.... looks hokey, and they tend to be expensive. Only way I'd want one is if I had an engine that would truly use that flow. A DIY dual snorkel would be cheaper, but still hokey (to me) and that extra hose takes up a lot of space.

OP is in AZ.... isn't it like 90 in the winter? I know there are mountains, but his "cold" is not like the cold in other places.
To answer your question, I live in the White Mountains at 5600 ft. Our winter nights can get down to 0. Commonly between 10 F and 20 F during January.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you haven't tried it don't knock it. there is lots of room under the hood of a GMT 400 so the extra hose isn't "wasting" more space, whatever "wasting" means. I'm "using" the space and I think it looks good. The exterior air intake in the passenger side fender isn't real large and isn't direct, it bends around a bit before getting into the fender area. then it has to bend 90 degrees to get to the TBI and I don't think there is baffle to keep some of the air going on by. So, any extra air I can get to the TBI is going to help.

That air restriction box is the dumbest thing ever. I heard it was installed to cut down on the noise associated with air being sucked into the TBI. I love that sound.

Southwest ORV

Reaction score
Oh, so you do really get cold weather. In that case maybe look at humidity, as Shurkey mentioned.
Yes, but our humidity is next to nothing. I've never in my life heard of a throttle body icing, and I think that's indicative that it's not a common issue in the southwest.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes, but our humidity is next to nothing. I've never in my life heard of a throttle body icing, and I think that's indicative that it's not a common issue in the southwest.

Low humidity in your area would help prevent it, but don't forget that manufacturers have been addressing it for years and years... that's the real reason no one talks about it. It sounds like you've got nothing to worry about to me.

bhopthewelder

Reaction score
Hey bro, don't let the people who are being ignorant and quite frankly rude saying the motor can't flow that much air. At least you are doing something cool to your truck. It takes time and effort to fabricate cool stuff like adding a dual air intake to your truck. They probably don't even have the skills to build something cool like that. I am currently TIG welding a stainless dual air unit for my 90 k3500 7.4 454 L123 HD transmission, I can't remember the name of that transmission...

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey bro, don't let the people who are being ignorant and quite frankly rude saying the motor can't flow that much air. At least you are doing something cool to your truck. It takes time and effort to fabricate cool stuff like adding a dual air intake to your truck. They probably don't even have the skills to build something cool like that. I am currently TIG welding a stainless dual air unit for my 90 k3500 7.4 454 L123 HD transmission, I can't remember the name of that transmission...

Sure.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kept my heat riser stock. I just make sure its functioning every oil change by removing the slinky tube and blowing a heat gun at it.

Mindtriped

Reaction score
Here's my setup. I took off the heat riser tube and peeled off the metal collar in the air cleaner it connected to. I removed the flapper and put a plate over those holes.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach