Heat/AC/Defrost and Dash Light Problems - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to post here and see if anyone could offer some guidance or help in solving a few problems I have been having with my 98 Silverado.

1. About 3 years ago my heat/AC/circulation functions stopped working on the truck. I didn't bother with fixing the problem because I rarely used the AC and my defrost was still working on all setting so I found it to be no big deal.

2. About 2 months ago the defrost began only working on the highest 2 settings.

3. Last week EVERYTHING stopped working and now the intensity knob won't even turn?

4. I ran the truck for 2 days with no defrost but now yesterday morning I went to turn my lights on and nothing happened?

Would these problems even have the possibility of having anything to do with each other? I haven't had much time to really check the problems but I'm actually kinda stumped on where to even begin.

Could this be a mixture of the resistor, motor, dash control panel and everything failing at once? At one point when the heat originally quit I checked fusing and it was fine but that couldn't even explain at this point why 1 day I had dash lights and the next day nothing.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

The truck is a 1998 with 77k miles and is stock except for an aftermarket cd player I installed.

'

Last edited:

carnutdallas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice truck with low, low miles, so why ignore it? Need to take care of it and the more that has continued to go wrong, the harder it is to narrow down. You can searching here and Google and get lots of info. But based on your description, your controller may have gone bad. Need a new controller. Now electrical can be difficult. You need to have an idea of what you are doing. If not, pay someone else who knows these trucks and auto repair to do it right. It can cost more to be wrong or break something, then it is to pay someone else to do it right the first time.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I believe I will take it to someone who can work through it a little easier than I can. I have some basic mechanic skills but the electrical/hvac stuff is proving to be a bit out of my range. Like you said I don't want to do more harm than good.

I am glad I found this forum through my searching though.