Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Rare

Reaction score
Alright yall ive been having issues with my head lights on my 1999 gmt-400 obs chevy 2500 ls crew cab the issue is the headlights only come on when the steering wheel is adjusted all the way up anything under that adjustment the lights shut off.. im guessing its a short in the wiring but not sure. Was wondering If anyone has had that issue and/or is willing to help. Thanks

Last edited:

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright yall ive been having issues with my head lights on my 1999 gmt-400 obs chevy 2500 ls crew cab the issue is the headlights only come on when the steering wheel is adjusted all the way up anything under that adjustment the lights shut off.. im guessing its a short in the wiring but not sure. Was wondering If anyone has had that issue and/or is willing to help. Thanks
Regardless of year/make/model, if in a vehicle an electrical part stops working when something physically moves, its a good idea to check for breaks in the wire. Most likely the wire is being stretched somewhere behind the column and only making a full connection when it is in that position.

Like if something only cuts out when you open your door all the way, probably a good idea to check the wiring that moves with your door - so check the wiring that would move/get pinched when you tilt the column.

EDIT: Seeing that it is in fact a GMT400, should be pretty easy to get steering shroud plastics off and have a look-see at the wires.

Mr Rare

Reaction score
Alright cool thanks yall
Regardless of year/make/model, if in a vehicle an electrical part stops working when something physically moves, its a good idea to check for breaks in the wire. Most likely the wire is being stretched somewhere behind the column and only making a full connection when it is in that position.

Like if something only cuts out when you open your door all the way, probably a good idea to check the wiring that moves with your door - so check the wiring that would move/get pinched when you tilt the column.

EDIT: Seeing that it is in fact a GMT400, should be pretty easy to get steering shroud plastics off and have a look-see at the wires.
ok ill go ahead check it out thank you !

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It is indeed the wiring near the tilt portion of the column. When you remove the clamshell plastics from the column you can see the wiring bundle along the driver side near the multifunction switch. Years of tilting up/down has broken the wiring internally. It may look fine outside.. Put your column in the position so that the lights work, and then wiggle the wires individually until you see which one causes the lights to quit. Cut, strip, solder, and heat shrink your repair.

Richard

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is indeed the wiring near the tilt portion of the column. When you remove the clamshell plastics from the column you can see the wiring bundle along the driver side near the multifunction switch. Years of tilting up/down has broken the wiring internally. It may look fine outside.. Put your column in the position so that the lights work, and then wiggle the wires individually until you see which one causes the lights to quit. Cut, strip, solder, and heat shrink your repair.

Richard
Won't even need any parts if he does it right! Hopefully a bit of slack somewhere in the harness he can use.