Headlight switch wire burning up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98gmajb

Reaction score
Alright so there's a wire that hooks up to the back of the switch that keeps frying... it's the yellow wire. I don't know what or where the wire goes to but the connection to the switch back to about an inch is fried up! It gets super hot when I turned the lights on so i'm guessing it has something to do maybe with a bad ground? or maybe a wire that these retards cut up when they did my alarm. I'm not sure but I replaced the wire and it burned up again. I also noticed that when I wiggle the wires I can hear a buzzing sound coming from somewhere behind the dash but i'm stumped on wtf is going on because i've gone over the wires and everything looks good. Any ideas?

98gmajb

Reaction score
link doesn't work? Now it works. Well I took my HIDS and put regular bulbs in there to see if that helps. If anything i'll have to try this.

Last edited:

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
U prolly want to run down that wire to see whats been done to it. Who knows what has been spliced or cut into it. The yellow wire goes from the switch to the beam selector. Could have a problem inside the column.

98gmajb

Reaction score
The thing is it only gets hot like an inch or two away from the switch the rest of the wire isn't hot at all. I'm guessing it's something to do with that wire a little down somewhere under the dash because sometimes it will go out and I can hear a buzzing noise like it's coming from behind the gauges somewhere. I've looked under the dash and I don't anything at all that looks messed up. I've tried going down the wire too and figuring where it goes but I really don't want to take the dash apart because that specific wire gets lost in the cluster of all the other wires.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it matter if you have the dash lights dimmed or not? If the yellow wire is getting hot, its being caused by high resistance. The headlight switches tend to get hot, a good quality HD Headlight Harness will take ALL the load off your headlight switch from the lights. I would start by tracing the yellow wire and see if its bared or grounding out someplace to start with. Beam selector switch could also be failing. Are you blowing any fuses?

98gmajb

Reaction score
Not blowing any fuses I checked them all and nothing. The ones on the dash inside the truck on the side and the ones under the hood. Yes the switch itself gets hot too. There has to be a messed up wire somewhere but I just can't see it.