Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I did a quick search and came up empty...if I missed it I'm sorry.

I've got a 97 Yukon and when I turn the headlights on the intensity (brightness) does not change from the intensity of the daytime running lights. Bright lights work fine. Is there a fuse or something to control this or could it be in the switch?

Thanks for any help.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do your low beams seam really dim? Or do they just not get any brighter with the headlights on versus just running lights? Do you happen to have a HD Headlight Harness installed on your Yukon? Because from the factory the running lights (DRL's) run the low beams at 60% intensity, and when you turn on your headlights the intensity should increase quite a bit. However, if you have a HD Headlight Harness or some sort of other relay set up, the running lights will run the low beams at 100% (which is much better) instead of 60% like the OEM set up.

Reaction score
No HD headlight harness that I'm aware of...appears to be stock lighting. There is no difference in lighting intensity form running lights to low beams. I had it out the other night and it's not nearly bright enough.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No HD headlight harness that I'm aware of...appears to be stock lighting. There is no difference in lighting intensity form running lights to low beams. I had it out the other night and it's not early bright enough.

Resistor box went bad. My truck was there same way

Sent from somewhere in MN

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No HD headlight harness that I'm aware of...appears to be stock lighting. There is no difference in lighting intensity form running lights to low beams. I had it out the other night and it's not nearly bright enough.

If you have severly decreased light output on the lows, then I would aggree with Paul!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have severly decreased light output on the lows, then I would aggree with Paul!

What i ment was that the resistor box went bad in the way of not cutting back power. If your lights are as bad as you make it sound, your housings may be sand blasted to the point that it's blocking light.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What i ment was that the resistor box went bad in the way of not cutting back power. If your lights are as bad as you make it sound, your housings may be sand blasted to the point that it's blocking light.

I've seen the DRL module actually mess with the low beams operation. If the headlight housings where in super poor condition it would also be the high beams as well. It's not as noticeably with high beams, but you should be able to notice a pretty severe loss of light output.

A really easy and good thing to test, would be voltage at the headlights. Do you own a Digital Mutlimeter? If so test the voltage in the following condition: Truck running, headlights ON, low beams on. If the voltage is below 8 volts with the headlight switch on, you have a severe problem. On a stock headlight set up, its very common for the headlights to only see 10 Volts or less due to the long run of small gauge wire, and drawing power through the headlight switch which results in such a voltage drop.

Reaction score

Housings aren't terrible...when I pull the truck up to a wall or my garage door...and turn on the lights... there is no change whatsoever in intensity. Don't mean to beat this to death but it's getting darker in both morning and evenings and I need to get this sorted out.

Thanks for all the help this far!

Reaction score
I've seen the DRL module actually mess with the low beams operation. If the headlight housings where in super poor condition it would also be the high beams as well. It's not as noticeably with high beams, but you should be able to notice a pretty severe loss of light output.

A really easy and good thing to test, would be voltage at the headlights. Do you own a Digital Mutlimeter? If so test the voltage in the following condition: Truck running, headlights ON, low beams on. If the voltage is below 8 volts with the headlight switch on, you have a severe problem. On a stock headlight set up, its very common for the headlights to only see 10 Volts or less due to the long run of small gauge wire, and drawing power through the headlight switch which results in such a voltage drop.

Thanks for this info. No sorry no digital multimeter...but I'm sure I can track one down or purchase one..