headlight help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have only had this truck since july last year, and i actually thought the headlights were supposed to go off when you tilted the column all the way up

TODAY I WENT OUT AND TOOK THE DASH OFF, then the column plastics and found my problem

there is a high/low wire for each on the switch for hi/low and there is a harness at the column

right there... the problem is that i have not been able to get that harness to release,

there is not the usual "ears" to get it to move but i took a small mirror and have located

where the two wires go.. this was simple

the problem i have now is getting the wires to stay in there after i put them in, i wish i could solder them

but im thinking theres not enough room.

there was a splice and thicker wire was added to the end with a terminal that had been cut smaller jammed into

the high and the low wire socket. I guess this problem had occured before and this was the previous owners quick fix

the problem is that they work their way back out as you go up and down at the column..

im thinking about just taking a two pieces of wire, trimming back 1/4 inch of insulation

and jamming one in each, then i guess (since i cant reach to solder) use some type of

non conductive glue and gluing them in there???? then splicing each wire back to the ones that fell out..

Last edited:

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I think the rainbow ribbon goes under the column, theres an access panel where your knees go, two phillips screws hold that then those retainer clip things hold it the rest of the way, their may be tongues holding the bottom though, just go slow. I think its the turn signal switch, which is a pita to get the steering wheel off with those air bags in the wheel... Best case scenario you find the short, splice and solder in a piece of wire and your problem is solved. Good Luck guys.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i found the problem but the wires came out of the harness, the previous owner trimmed a connector and jammed them into the holes for the wires on the dim switch harness

and then spliced a wire to the ones that fell out for each,

i dont trust this and im trying to find a way to solder them in, i think if i move that lower dash panel, take it off maybe i can reach it

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure of the connection but if its a prong type that plugs into another plug you could cut the wire ends and clamp on a spade wire end connector to plug into the plug.

the spade connect is similar to this:
You must be registered for see images

but its flat all the way across and doesnt have a cutout

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they dont make one small enough its merely a hole the size of a dull pencil point and its been wallered out because

what someone had done before me is trim one of those connectors in your picture with dikes to fit in the wire hole and then clamped a wire on it and jammed it in there then connected

that to the wire that fell out..

the problem is this doesnt cut it and i spent two hours today with a file trying to custom make a prong that would stay tight enough, it doesnt seem to work,

what i need to do is get the whole turn signal switch off, so that i can get to the backside with ease, and do it right and solder a wire into it with thin guage solder, the good stuff

this turn signal switch is mounted to the column with a torx screw on the top, but i cannot find anything else, im guessing i have to pull the steering wheel to get this off...

im going to pull the lowe rpart of the dash, (easy) and see if i cant get some leverage room and slip a soldering iron in there to do it how i want other wise the up/down action of

the column just pulls these custom prongs out.. its really more difficult than it sounds but im very happy because it took me literally 5 minutes to find the wires that fell out.

thanks everyone, im going to work on getting some pictures of this and my truck, im using a compact mirror to see the backside of this harness where the wires came out

i love forums because everybody is willing to pitch in and offer much needed advice

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to mention i have 4 tierods, 4 balljoints, and a wheel stud to install tomorrow

the guy i bought the truck from had a locking lugnut on one lug of one wheel and he lost the key so i had to drill the bastered out

haha

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Ouch to the locking lug, The way Ive done it before is find a socket that just barely fits, then go one size down, to where it wont just slide on, fill it with JB Weld, then hammer the bish on there and let it sit 45 min to an hour, then hit it with the impact, repeat with the others if there are others.

Too late now, but a good future reference...

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch to the locking lug, The way Ive done it before is find a socket that just barely fits, then go one size down, to where it wont just slide on, fill it with JB Weld, then hammer the bish on there and let it sit 45 min to an hour, then hit it with the impact, repeat with the others if there are others.

Too late now, but a good future reference...

X2!!!!
happend to me too. guy lost the locking lug nut key. so we took a socket and hammered it on then used an impact to take it off.

but ya hope you figure it out. you might be better off buying a new light switch if its hacked that bad

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i fixed it,

i just found two good wires about eight inches long, took the lower dash part at the knees off,

then took off a black steel plate, laid on my back and soldered the two wires into each of the terminals

then i zip tied them in place and then buttoned everything back up

next thing was to start on my balljoints and tierods

my front passenger side uppper had never been replaced and therefore had to have the rivets drilled out

the lower is a pressed in style and i cant get the thing out, no idea how im going to get the new one back in

i guess im going to have to rent a tool

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for the lower balljoints i am taking them to a machine shop around the bend they pop old out and new in for 25 dollars each so 50 total both lower balljoints