ground strap upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to add to the ground straps from my chassis to firewall and engine block to the chassis on my 96 k1500. can any one give me a reccomendation on which is easier??

I want to either get another ground strap and put them on or I want to get some insulated copper wire and use that. does anyone know how long these straps would need to be so that I can buy a universal type setup?? or atleast some wire to make a cable??? thnaks!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I have to replace the chassis to block ground straps on the Express vans quite often. I use 4 gauge battery cable cut to length and solder and crimp eyelet ends on each end. It works great on the vans. As for the firewall ground, I'd probably just got to a parts store and buy that braded ground strap and run it from the back of the block to the firewall.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats actually what im doing haha. I have heard that it makes a pretty good difference. I am just trying to do it on a budget and dont want to end up with a ton of extra wire. although some extra is a must.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got around to atleast starting this project. I piggy backed a 2 gauge wire to the pos. battery post to the alternator. and then I had some wire left over so I ran 2 gauge from the back of the motor ground to the frame. and last I had just enough wire to do from the chassis to the body. and it made quite a big difference in my underhood/interior lights they are tons brighter than they used to be!!! now I am debating on if completing it and doing a ground wire from the battery to the chassis, and from neg. to block. what do you guys think?? with my electric fans on, heater, dash lights and pretty much every electrical system running my truck sits at 12.6. just idling it hangs out at 14-14.6