Grinding noise K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi from Norway! I have a 1989 Chevy Silverado K1500 and has a problem with a grinding noise located about to the right to the transmission sitting in cabin. Transmission (700R4) is now overhauled and the converter is replaced with a new one. Did not do that myself. But the noise is still there. The noise comes and goes but it`s there maybe 95 % of the time. Oil level is ok.

When coasting and letting off the gas or going over a small hump it can disappear for a brief moment. It's also there both in 2WD and 4WD. Sometimes it's there when in P other times not. This forum has to be the right place to ask I hope.

Thanks for any input!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack up and SAFELY support the rear wheels so they can spin and not touch the ground. Transfer case in TWO wheel drive. Start engine, put it in gear, make sure it's making the noise you think is a problem.

Crawl under the truck, see what's rattling.

Some folks like to have another person nearby in case the truck falls on you. I figure all they can do is determine the time of death.

Reaction score
Jack up and SAFELY support the rear wheels so they can spin and not touch the ground. Transfer case in TWO wheel drive. Start engine, put it in gear, make sure it's making the noise you think is a problem.

Crawl under the truck, see what's rattling.

Some folks like to have another person nearby in case the truck falls on you. I figure all they can do is determine the time of death.

Done that but couldn’t really figure it out. Now I have two oldtimers looking at it (70 years of experience with automatic transmissions) while I’m away at work. I believe and hope they will figure it out:)

Last edited: