Grandpa's '94 K1500 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cale N

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This was my grandfather's truck some years ago and he left it to me when he passed away.
I have gotten a lot of use out of it and put maybe 15,000 miles on it in the last few years. It
hasn't been cheap though, I performed a lot of repairs and costly preventative maintenance on the truck including a new fuel pump, alternator, four new tires, and I replaced all the headlights and taillights.

About a year ago it developed a rod knock in the little 4.3 which so closely resembled a lifter tick that my mechanic who used to work at the Chevrolet dealer did a lifter job on it without a second thought (he did it for free) and then was very surprised when it turned out to be a rod knock. So I parked the truck and then was more or less given my fathers '06 Tacoma to drive. After a year of saving up cash I ordered a 350 crate motor from JEGS and me and a friend of mine dumped probably more than 100 hours into pulling and swapping in the new motor. (If you have questions regarding this process I might
be able to help a little.

Below I'll make a list of new components in the truck.
-Alternator
-A/C Compressor
-Hoses
-Exhaust Manifold
-350 Crate Motor
-Belt
-Water Pump
-Fuel Pump
-Tensioner and Idler
-Distributor, Plugs, Wires
-All Sensors
-Rebuilt 4L60E (~45,000 miles ago)

So what do you think I should do to the truck next? I appreciate any feedback I get. Feel free to ask questions.

Cale N

Reaction score
If it was mine keep it stock. Maybe some leds and extra underhood light. Ss braided brake hoses. Led interior. Overall very nice truck. What look do you want?
I'm going for exactly that, I will not be modifying the ride height, mainly wanting to build this truck for longevity and reliability.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Have mind stock since 1996. Did unload the steel OEM rims when I stopped winter driving in Toronto. Got rid of that middle seat belt in the bench. No good with a manual, my elbow was always getting between my 90lb sister's in law legs when I put it in forth. LOL Just two occupants now.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice. I'm glad to hear you'll keep it stock lol. Keep that beauty maintained and protected. Undercoat the bottom and other mods I could see is maybe stuff the truck didnt original come with. Like upgraded radiator, transcooler, maybe power steering cooler, and whatever else you think. Otherwise big 3 and keep her protected. Shell get many more miles. My baby got 473k and there's always something to replace lol. Yours got plenty of life yet just treat her right and do a multipoint inspection everytime you take her out.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think my light under the hood ever worked. There is no voltage drop when the bulb is removed. No biggy. Did all the GMTs with a Vortec have hood insulation? Can not remember removing mine, too much homebrew. No biggy.