Granddaddy's Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Welcome! Awesome history of your truck.
I'm 49, and still drive like an invincible 17 year old. My only suggestion is to find people who have black 4x4s. Playing in the mud, sticks and woods is hard on EVERY color of paint, but you can walk up to a black vehicle with a clean Taco Bell napkin and scratch the hell outta the paint.-And see it clearly!
Show me a beautiful black 4x4 and you're showing me a garage queen, not a rough and ready toy.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice looking truck!

I would recommend just painting the hood and roof. If you try and do a color change, it will loose its character and then you'll also have a truck with a green engine bay or green under the hood etc and it starts looking hacked pretty quick.

This truck has some great options and it looks pretty clean. Z71 regular cab short bed, 5 speed, I'm assuming its a 350? Clean it up, maybe a different tire/wheel setup and be happy with it.

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get what y'all are saying about the paint. We are just going with exterior for right now since working at a grocery store only pays so much and not many people will see engine bay/interior. In 20-30 years when the truck is considered vintage, it will undergo a full frame-off restoration.

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brand new chrome grille came today, new bumper will be here tomorrow. I have no idea when my clear lights will be here as Anzo never sent me a confirmation email but said they would, and license plate bracket and clear corner lights got ordered about 5 minutes ago. With the 88-93 GMCs, the corner is all one piece but I have heard you can still use the two piece Chevy corners with the space in the grill so that is what I'm going to do.

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lord have mercy this is gonna be an eventful week with this truck. Grill came in last week and so did the bumper. Bumper came without impact strip or mounting hardware (thanks LMC) so we ordered those and are back in business. Clear corners and park lights get here today, and headlights come tomorrow with the license plate bracket coming on wednesday. In between duck hunting and eating with the family on Thursday we should be able to replace it all. Final product is a chrome grill and bumper, with all clear headlights and a Dale Earnhardt #3 license plate. Then we will be saving to $2000 for paint and the truck will probably be done by te summer!

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Welcome! Awesome history of your truck.
I'm 49, and still drive like an invincible 17 year old. My only suggestion is to find people who have black 4x4s. Playing in the mud, sticks and woods is hard on EVERY color of paint, but you can walk up to a black vehicle with a clean Taco Bell napkin and scratch the hell outta the paint.-And see it clearly!
Show me a beautiful black 4x4 and you're showing me a garage queen, not a rough and ready toy.
I drive a black 1999 2 door Tahoe that is "beautiful black" twice a year, after the all day polishing / buffing sessions. The rest of the time it is a clean daily driver ...

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I'm not going to completely abuse the truck either. It will be a daily driver until I find a cheap newbody in my 20s, and then it will be used as a hunting truck/weekender. After I get it painted black I'll do normal truck things in it but keep it clean enough to take to some local shows.

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clear corners got here today and we put them on the grill about 20 minutes ago. On the 88-93 GMCs, the corner light and reflector is all one piece but we got the 4 piece Chevy corners and got them to fit. Pics coming soon