Got exhaust done, but need help to make it louder!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got this exhaust mounted on the truck a few weeks ago and its just not loud enough. Now I do not want the ''straight piped'' loud sound where its obnoxious, but I am looking for it to be louder while sounding good. I know theres' alot of flowmaster haters, so no need for the ''want better sound, get rid of the flowmaster'' comments, lol.

Heres what I have :

1990 RCSB silverado 5.7 tbi
stock motor
stock piping including the HUGE cat to the muffler
flowmaster 40 series muffler dual outlet 2.5 inch piping with 3 inch tips.

this is when we first got it done
You must be registered for see images attach

this is it on for months on end and broken in I guess

Now it does sound louder on the videos, but cruising in the truck you can hear it somewhat but idle you cant really hear it too well. I am wondering if I get a highflow cat and swap the stock cat if it will open it up or not. Or If I should think about getting all new bigger 2.5 inch piping from the manifolds to the muffler.

Again, I am looking for something that sounds ''good'' but louder. Like here is my s10 it is true duals, 2.5 inch piping no cats and super 44s. Its louder than the truck but not obnoxiously loud. Good cruiser exhaust

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ditching the cats and putting in new pipe will make it louder, as will a pair of headers. Thats about all you can do if you don't want to change mufflers

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yupp, catless or headers, mandrel bent pipe seemed to make mine a little louder too.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I am going to go catless and see what that does for right now when we install the body lift. I had my brother drive in it net to me and it sounded terrible cruising next to me. Hopefully it will work.

redchev20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
id put a highflow cat on. if it has the BIG old converter they are extremely restrictive get that outta there. and take those mufflers off. i know you dont want to but swap them with some 18 inch quality glass pack with your tips and you will have a great sounding truck...oh for starters try flipping your lid. that will help alittle bit let her breathe...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why not copy the s-10 setup? run the same 44 or run the 10 series they are louder, so is the cherry bomb extremes.

I would say cat is the biggest thing, pipe eh, that's alot of work and money I'd try the cat first I think.