GMT400 Buggy Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
So it's gotten to the point where any further with my jeep and it will be a nightmare to drive on the road.

I joined this forum to ask about some towing questions and starting doing a lot of research, between that and talking to my dad I decided that I wanted to use the engine trans and tcase out of a gmt400. Specifically an 88 to 92 TBI with a 700r4.

Basically all that's going to be left of the original truck is the cab forward frame. I decided that I wanted to do a HP44 and 9 inch mainly because I found this 1979 Ford pick up for a deal (1200$)

The axles have 5.13 gears, a moser full spool in the rear and a Yukon locker in the front.

The 9 inch has the 35 spline kit in it so that is a huge bonus I got about 4k worth of axle parts for 1200 bucks.

I plan on selling the rest of the parts off of the ford to hopefully offset the cost. It came with a mint condition lund visor from 79 that is about 500 on ebay.

Anyway here is the truck GMT400 I am starting with.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was a 1 owner pick up and runs amazing picked it up for 900.

Here is the axle donor truck

Towed it home with my 96 GMT400 and was very pleased.

Anyways more build progress to come. This will basically be a full tube buggy with guts from both of these trucks.

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
Any progress?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, i was just about to post. Work has been insane, the agriculture business is poppin off. Anyways here is what i did this weekend.

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 8
  • bedoff.jpg
    bedoff.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cab removal.jpg
    cab removal.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 8

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
Sorry for the multi posts. Basically I acquired a roll cage on a different frame that i didnt really care to use.

Welding it level to the top of the frame and plan on using some metal to boat side from the bottom of the gmt400 to the bottom of the slider bar.

next weekend I'll be cutting off the back half of the frame to build a cross member for the rear links.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I’m getting to the point in my build where I need to make a decision as well to full buggy it or just get another one. I thought about using a 400 but what wheel base are you doing?

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
Going for 106 wheel base with a belly height of 26 inches hopefully
I’m getting to the point in my build where I need to make a decision as well to full buggy it or just get another one. I thought about using a 400 but what wheel base are you doing?

Last edited: