GCWR - 96 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the GCWR (Gross combined weight rating) of a 1996 C1500 RCLB is?

GCWR is the maximum allowable combined mass of a towing road vehicle, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer and cargo in the trailer. This rating is set by the vehicle manufacturer.

I'm not asking what you actually can pull, but what GM says it is rated for.

But on that note, what is the most anyone pulls with a C1500 on a semi-regular basis?

On my S/C 350 C1500, I've got a Class V+ hitch and pintle with a 12k rating. I've also got a race-built trans with a large trans cooler with a fan on it. I'm looking at a 2000 lb equipment trailer, rated for 9990 lb GVWR.

I just want to know what the most I could put on that trailer is before someone (State Police, DMV, etc) could legally say I was over the GCWR for my vehicle.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Rear ratio works into this as well.

Gimme a sec, I'll see if I can find the max rating for the platform. Depending on how it is equipped, you go down from there...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
As I feared, info is pretty "sketchy" on trailers and GCWR that far back.

1996 info only states max trailer weight:

You must be registered for see images attach

If I slide up to 1998, there is a GCWR chart:

You must be registered for see images attach

Although you're likely to be disappointed when you look at the chart if you have a 10,000 lb load to tow.

3.73 truck (3.73/3.42 are the most common rear gears in a 1500) maxes out at 12,000 lbs.

As a rough guess, your truck weighs 6000-6500 lbs. Trailer is 2000 lbs.

That's 8,000-8,500 lbs unloaded or a usable remaining capacity of 3500-4000 lbs assuming 3.73 rear gears.

Chucking any weight in the bed only makes the numbers less appealing.....:(

Also note that bumper tow requires load equalizer bars for weights above 5,000lb. Doubtful johnny law is going to know that though.

Weight police might, but they don't bother with non commerical drivers.

Well, they usually don't....if you look overloaded (IE: nose high/tail low, bulged tires, triple axle flatbed with an obviously large load, etc) you have a higher chance of getting checked.

Unfortunately, any "upgrades" you make to the truck have no effect on the rated GCWR for legal puposes.

Last edited:

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Ah, well actually I have 4.56 gears! :)

I've got AAL's in the back as well. 1000 lbs in the bed doesn't even sink it an inch.

And I don't think my truck weighs 6000 lbs, maybe 5000 or so at best. I'll get it across the local scales soon.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ah, well actually I have 4.56 gears! :)

I've got AAL's in the back as well. 1000 lbs in the bed doesn't even sink it an inch.

And I don't think my truck weighs 6000 lbs, maybe 5000 or so at best. I'll get it across the local scales soon.

John law isn't going care what you tell him, he's going to care whats on the spec sheet for the truck.

I wouldn't worry about it too much anyways. No one is going to bother with you if you look properly loaded.

I hauled my 35 foot travel trailer from coast to coast with my 98 ECLB and never got a second look.

You're going to have to pee someone off pretty badly for them to start looking close enough to see how your truck is equipped.